The Performance Impact From Different Arch Linux Kernel Flavors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    The last version of Windows which "put pressure on the hardware the desktop just freezes" was Windows 98SE back in 1999
    You say some of the oddest and most hilariously untrue things. I like your trolling style. Keep it up, you'll go far here. I'm giving you an upvote.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
      These graphs are terrible to read at times

Screenshot_20230125_171208.png
      And that's why I liked the old PTS graph design more than the current one!
      What's so wrong with contrast?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

And that's why I liked the old PTS graph design more than the current one!
        What's so wrong with contrast?
        It should be fixed as of a few hours ago, assuming your browser is getting the latest CSS, it should be inverted now.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Windows the moment you put pressure on the hardware the desktop just freezes, there is no responsiveness argument.

just try to work on blender while you run aida64 for example, you will see.
          e
          On Arch with Gnome 43 wayland i literally trash the CPU converting videos to AV1 and compiling at the same time and unless the OOM (Dont happens often since i have 32gb+ on all my systems) hit hard but browsers and stuff still work good enough to really dont care too much about responsiveness
          Yeah I wish that was true but I had the completely opposite experience. I was stuck on a i3 dualcore laptop with 4GB for a while a couple of years ago. On Windows I'd have multiple browser tabs, a bunch of different programs and even an instance of a game running which would easily heavily utilize the pagefile and it'd run pretty much fine. Obviously there'd be the occasional hang and the general sluggishness (thankfully I was swapping to an SSD) but I would never have it completely lock up. On Linux on the other hand I'd swap a couple of GB and it'd be game over. Most of the time it wouldn't even respond to my SysRq inputs, so I would have to hard reboot rather than hoping to manually invoke the oom daemon and in the worst case do a quick REISUB.

I do wonder how much the situation improved now with the introduction of MGLRU?

Comment

zen kernel is nice, I mainly use it for binder devices for android support

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Should be fixed/improved if you refresh the page (and the updated dark CSS loads).
              Massive improvement, Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post

Yeah I wish that was true but I had the completely opposite experience. I was stuck on a i3 dualcore laptop with 4GB for a while a couple of years ago. On Windows I'd have multiple browser tabs, a bunch of different programs and even an instance of a game running which would easily heavily utilize the pagefile and it'd run pretty much fine. Obviously there'd be the occasional hang and the general sluggishness (thankfully I was swapping to an SSD) but I would never have it completely lock up. On Linux on the other hand I'd swap a couple of GB and it'd be game over. Most of the time it wouldn't even respond to my SysRq inputs, so I would have to hard reboot rather than hoping to manually invoke the oom daemon and in the worst case do a quick REISUB.

I’d argue the Windows kernel has likely been tuned to keep the desktop as responsive as possible, and non-essential background service and apps come second. But Microsoft can do this, because the Windows kernel is not a generic kernel.

Linux, I am not sure of much you can do to tell the kernel you prefer to keep the desktop responsive, other than add real time permissions to the process, make the OOM manager ignore it, use high-priority context on the GPU.. But, I am not aware of any mainstream distro and desktop that does all these and Linux is still unable to recover from GPU crashes, where as Windows can and completely rebuild the desktop (applications may crash, but the desktop survives)

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post

probably but also may have been a driver issue, laptops are a world of weird on linux.

I had issue like this with laptops before and ram was not an issue, shitty wifi, i2c, thermal, etc. drivers including but not excluding weird AF BIOS issues

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I’d argue the Windows kernel has likely been tuned to keep the desktop as responsive as possible, and non-essential background service and apps come second. But Microsoft can do this, because the Windows kernel is not a generic kernel.

Linux, I am not sure of much you can do to tell the kernel you prefer to keep the desktop responsive, other than add real time permissions to the process, make the OOM manager ignore it, use high-priority context on the GPU.. But, I am not aware of any mainstream distro and desktop that does all these and Linux is still unable to recover from GPU crashes, where as Windows can and completely rebuild the desktop (applications may crash, but the desktop survives)
                    Is not a kernel or tuning issue 99% of the time but the drivers that is where Windows last stronghold is

Comment

All of these different kernel versions of Arch remind me of...

...picking a flavor of Puppy Linux to try first.

Comment

Working...
                      X