Ubuntu's New Installer Taking Shape Nicely For Ubuntu 23.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

You can't really respect people and call them corporate shills, it is one or the other. Linus specifically choose not to work for any Linux vendor and has certainly turned down offers worth many times over including from Apple (who wanted to make the Linux kernel the base for Mac OS if he played along) because he stuck to his guns. A one time gift of a stock grant (which he immediately sold) pales in comparison to even the salary he draws right now (Linux foundation has public filings). It would be far more credible just disagreeing on technical grounds.
    Yeah, I can. It's very simple. Just because somebody says something that I don't agree with, whether due to my own perceived bias or not, doesn't mean that what they said mars how I think about that individual as a whole. We're both entitled to our opinions about ZFS. I just think that some of his opinions on the matter are wrong; not the legal stuff. AFAIK, these are the opinions if anyone is curious.

It's not like he said hate speech or anything vile like that which would dramatically change how I feel about him so I can still like and respect the guy at the end of the day. It's just a disagreement and some name calling. It isn't the end of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yeah, I can. It's very simple. Just because somebody says something that I don't agree with, whether due to my own perceived bias or not, doesn't mean that what they said mars how I think about that individual as a whole. We're both entitled to our opinions about ZFS.
      As I noted, you can certainly disagree with him technically but your justifications for calling him a corporate shill based on the disagreement is weak. Linus makes off the cuff remarks quite often and not all of them are well thought out but there is no real history of him acting in a biased way towards any particular Linux vendor. On the contrary, his neutrality (along with the GPL license) has been a key factor in multiple companies collaborating successfully in the kernel.

Comment

For one moment while clicking on the comments section I though I was going to find yet another thread where people shit on ubuntu and canonical. I was wrong. I found a decent, respectful comments thread. I'm proud of you guys, we have grown as community it seems

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

While it might be true that the average American would struggle to name or place countries not named United States I've not met anyone who didn't know what state they lived in / where that state was . I also think your jab is incorrect, Americans will think the country (nation, I know British call it a country) that houses London is named England while it is actually UK and would not struggle to identify this due to public schooling going on and on about the 1600s and 1700s. You might find however that many people in many countries would struggle with world geography outside their region / history .

Also, do you really think anyone who doesn't know what they are doing is going to use the Ubuntu installer let alone be able to write it to a USB drive?
          England actually is a country. It's just not a sovereign state. It's a country within the United Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It's not just America: here in the Netherlands, and even in the neigboring Belgium, referring to the UK as England is very normal.
            Same reason a lot of people call The Netherlands "Holland". It's just the most well known part of the country, where the capital is situated in

Comment

Originally posted by bumblebritches57 View Post
              I wish they’d allow upper case usernames, fucking insane that I have to nanually edit my profile to spell my fucking name right.
              So your legal name is case-sensitive? This is problematic to a lot of systems. For example, I don't think the international passport format encodes the letter case of one's name.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

So your legal name is case-sensitive? This is problematic to a lot of systems. For example, I don't think the international passport format encodes the letter case of one's name.
                Yeah a lot of systems have broken assumptions but unix logins are case sensitive and Linux distributions should support that consistently instead of incorrectly assuming that names aren't case sensitive.

Comment

Going by how many freaking times Linux installer have been re-invented, overhauled, rewritten ... it seems like Linux installers are incredibly hard to get right and are something that users use almost everyday.

Or is it more like that the programmers that are working on these distros are either incredibly bored or too incompetent to get it right and do something more hard but also more useful instead?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Yeah a lot of systems have broken assumptions but unix logins are case sensitive and Linux distributions should support that consistently instead of incorrectly assuming that names aren't case sensitive.
                    Yes, my legal name is capitalized, is yours not?

Comment

Working...
                    X