Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's New Installer Taking Shape Nicely For Ubuntu 23.04

Phoronix: Ubuntu's New Installer Taking Shape Nicely For Ubuntu 23.04

A new Ubuntu desktop installer has been talked about going back many years and over the past two years has been focused on providing a rewritten installer making use of Subiquity and Flutter. With Ubuntu 23.04 "Lunar Lobster" in April that new desktop installer is poised to finally be used by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Espionage724
    Looks nice!

I have no problem with the UX or anything, but I wish they offered different root filesystem choices in the Advanced section. I'd be interested in XFS and F2FS roots. I don't know if I ever bothered with manual partitioning with Ubuntu to know how easy it would be to just do that.
    The current installer allows XFS root installs... are they taking that away??

Comment

Those thikk margins make a lot of scrolling necessary

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
        Those thikk margins make a lot of scrolling necessary
        I don't understand that trend either. It would only make sense on touch devices, where you have an inferior input system that needs big spaces to be usable.

The same info would only need 1/4th of the display in a classic 80 char terminal.

I guess people just like to scroll, otherwise there would be no explanation for websites that only use 10% of the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by vohcjdwd
          That timezone selection screen is doomed to fail, when presented to the average North American zoomer. Most of them think London is a country and can't even locate the continent they're currently on.
          While it might be true that the average American would struggle to name or place countries not named United States I've not met anyone who didn't know what state they lived in / where that state was . I also think your jab is incorrect, Americans will think the country (nation, I know British call it a country) that houses London is named England while it is actually UK and would not struggle to identify this due to public schooling going on and on about the 1600s and 1700s. You might find however that many people in many countries would struggle with world geography outside their region / history .

Also, do you really think anyone who doesn't know what they are doing is going to use the Ubuntu installer let alone be able to write it to a USB drive?

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

While it might be true that the average American would struggle to name or place countries not named United States I've not met anyone who didn't know what state they lived in / where that state was . I also think your jab is incorrect, Americans will think the country (nation, I know British call it a country) that houses London is named England while it is actually UK and would not struggle to identify this due to public schooling going on and on about the 1600s and 1700s. You might find however that many people in many countries would struggle with world geography outside their region / history .

Also, do you really think anyone who doesn't know what they are doing is going to use the Ubuntu installer let alone be able to write it to a USB drive?
            It's not just America: here in the Netherlands, and even in the neigboring Belgium, referring to the UK as England is very normal.

Comment

One thing that's been really frustrating about the Ubuntu installer is not being able to select the filesystem type of the 'erase and install w/encryption' install. Like, I want it to build the encrypted volume group, but then let me modify the filesystems/volumes/mountpoints under it.

Comment

If they wanted a setup wizzard that looks like vanilla GNOME, why did they use Flutter instead of GTK4?

Wouldn't GTK4 be better at letting it adapt to smartphone, tablet and TV screen formfactors (with native UI speeds instead of webpage UI speeds), plus look just as coherent (or more) with the distro's theme?

Does it at least make it easier to add/tweak features for the installer going forward?
                Last edited by marlock; 03 January 2023, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Sucks that they are getting rid of ZFS

Comment

Originally posted by vohcjdwd

There's a big difference between saying the name of a state and finding it on a world map. There's a large contingent of North American zoomers who aren't able to do the latter.
                    Okay, but that also doesnt matter. An American isnt going to be looking for Croatia when installing, but a Croat would and absolutely knows where Croatia is on a map of at least Europe which fits into the world map. If you are an American looking for Croatia on a map while installing Linux for whatever reason then you also probably know where Croatia is.

Comment

Working...
                    X