Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 23 Brings Updated Desktops, New Server Flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 23 Brings Updated Desktops, New Server Flavor

Phoronix: Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 23 Brings Updated Desktops, New Server Flavor

Calculate Linux has now issued its v23 release as the project marks fifteen years of being a Gentoo Linux built distribution focused on suitable Linux deployments within organizations / corporate environments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it strawberry?

I'm gonna go read the article now...and:

Calculate Linux 23 continues with a number of different flavors for various desktop environments and servers: KDE (CLD), Cinnamon (CLDC), LXQt (CLDL), Mate (CLDM) or Xfce (CLDX and CLDXS) desktop, Calculate Container Manager (CCM), Calculate Directory Server (CDS), Calculate Linux Scratch (CLS) and Calculate Scratch Server (CSS).
    At a minimum, using semicolons, Oxford commas, making the word "desktop" plural, and, me being pedantic here, switching "or" to "and" would have made that much, much easier to read and understand.

Those are actually issues with the Calculate release notes. The journalistic techniques of CTRL+C and CRTL+V

I have to ask: What makes Eclipse, Inkscape, and GIMP scientific; an IDE and two image/graphics editors? According to them, those are the only differences between Xfce and Xfce Scientific.

CLDX (Xfce desktop): Xfce 4.18, LibreOffice 7.3.7.2, Chromium 108.0.5359.124, Claws Mail 4.1.0, Gimp 2.10.32, Strawberry 1.0.10 - 2.8 G​
    CLDXS (Xfce Scientific desktop): Xfce 4.18, Eclipse 4.15, Inkscape 1.2.1, LibreOffice 7.3.7.2, Chromium 108.0.5359.124, Claws Mail 4.1.0, Gimp 2.10.32 - 3.1 G​

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I have to ask: What makes Eclipse, Inkscape, and GIMP scientific; an IDE and two image/graphics editors? According to them, those are the only differences between Xfce and Xfce Scientific.
      GIMP in both editions.
      Not a dev, just a gentoo user. Probably difference in having eclipse-parallel-bin (Eclipse IDE for Scientific Computing), which is not in official repository. Inkscape just for drawing plots.

Comment

Replaced vi with nano, good decision.

Comment

they didnt replace vi with nano they just reverted to the gentoo default.

Comment

Working...
          X