Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ikey Doherty's Serpent OS Spins Its First ISO

Phoronix: Ikey Doherty's Serpent OS Spins Its First ISO

After two years of work, the Serpent OS Linux distribution has released its first public image for this innovative and original open-source operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A link in the middle of the article is not working...

Comment

What could be the possible reason that we need yet another distro for?

Comment

I don't understand:
        Why would Ikey Doherty found the Solus OS Project, then leave it,
        and then found another distribution project?
        Solus OS is still doing fine without Ikey, but progressing much slower than before.

The fact that SerpentOS exists is silly.
        Why wouldn't he just improve SolusOS with all the things he envisions for SerpentOS instead of making SerpentOS itself?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
          The project blog has a deep dive into the innovations they're attempting. Red Hat/rpm, Debian/deb, Arch/pacman, Nix... are not the end-all-be-all of packaging systems. They're good, but there's more room for innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

The project blog has a deep dive into the innovations they're attempting. Red Hat/rpm, Debian/deb, Arch/pacman, Nix... are not the end-all-be-all of packaging systems. They're good, but there's more room for innovation.
            To be fair, he could've innovated by contributing to the betterment of an existing distro.

Comment

Speaking hyperbolically, it's easy to get sick of your creation when it does not run off as the way you want to.
              In all seriousness, we shall see if this will add another "solution"/OS to the list or make history as a useful one.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

From what I gather, it's not really about innovation, but more about combining ideas already innovated elsewhere into something that's, in some sense, both traditional and modern. I'm curious how that's going to work out, but I wish them luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                  Why are you making this about yourself? It's clearly a playground to try something new, without the baggage of existing users and their systems.

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post

To be fair, he could've innovated by contributing to the betterment of an existing distro.
                  I don't think you've ever tried to make a large change to an existing project. It is very, very difficult to experiment with larger projects and this is clearly not about your so-called innovation but instead about trying very specific experiments with something without the previously mentioned baggage of existing users and existing systems. Developers, especially those not working for a salary, are not just drones filling in gaps wherever it makes sense. Instead, they are motivated by things they are interested in and in this case the person is interested in doing these experiments.

Comment

I started with a negative dismissive mindset reading this post, I am no big fan of solus, but after reading over the start page promises with the included links it kind of makes sense.

It could be a archlinux killer, the installer files look as simple as the archlinux files combine that with silverblue/nixos atomic update / reversible updates and you get something nice.

I am not 100% sold on the heavy optimization of compiler flags towards very new hardware, I think the effort / gain of it is not in a good relation, but hey I am open to change my mind.

But assuming it could compete with Archs AUR, I could see that as a good at least gaming-os.

That said if the statements about "wayland only" and "no legacy boot" are true, I have some reservations currently but sure in the time it becomes a viable choice the huge wayland problems are mostly fixed and uefi boot with a good installer that automatically creates the 500 needed partition to boot uefi systems are properly created and all works fine
                    Last edited by blackiwid; 24 December 2022, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X