Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE ALP "Punta Baretti" Prototype Released With More Changes

Phoronix: openSUSE ALP "Punta Baretti" Prototype Released With More Changes

SUSE has released a new prototype build of their Adaptable Linux Platform (ALP) that will serve as the basis for the next-generation SUSE Enterprise Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this the end of Leap? Hopefully not...
    Apologies if I am completely wrong but I hear very little news about Leap.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      The successor to Leap 15 is likely to come soon after the release of Leap 15.5." SUSE is working on a new "Adaptable Linux Platform" for next-gen SUSE Linux Enterprise and will shift/replace Leap... We're still waiting to hear more public details on the openSUSE Leap impact moving forward.​ SOURCE https://www.phoronix.com/news/openSUSE-Leap-15.4
      Would guess we will hear about leap again when they cut the Beta

Wed, Jan 25, 2023 Checkin Deadline for Beta

o Deadline is at 15:00 UTC o Deadline for any package removals from Leap. o Deadline corresponds with SLE 15 SP5 late feature cutoff deadline and Snap 3 prior Public Beta

Comment

Recently switched to Tumbleweed on my desktop computer. It's so nice and well put together, I won't miss Leap (even though I was scared initially).

I might even try ALP at some point because it definitely has it's pros.

Comment

been using tumbleweed too long to ever want to go back to leap.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Apologies if I am completely wrong but I hear very little news about Leap.
            Depends on what you mean by "the end of Leap".
            Leap has always been aligned with SLE (even when it wasn't called Leap), in recent times the binaries have also been unified, so Leap will follow SLE, I don't know if they will change the name given the heavy changes but I think so.
            So there will be SUSE and an open version (openSUSE) as it always has been...not forgetting Tumbleweed of course.​

Comment

Any news on desktops? Will ALP support KDE Plasma (like Leap does now)?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Depends on what you mean by "the end of Leap".
                Leap has always been aligned with SLE (even when it wasn't called Leap), in recent times the binaries have also been unified, so Leap will follow SLE, I don't know if they will change the name given the heavy changes but I think so.
                So there will be SUSE and an open version (openSUSE) as it always has been...not forgetting Tumbleweed of course.​
                Leap was always called Leap. SLE will continue probably next ten or twenty years in maintanance mode, Leap will end in two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
                  Any news on desktops? Will ALP support KDE Plasma (like Leap does now)?
                  Comunity variant of ALP should have KDE, but nothing existing yet

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

Comunity variant of ALP should have KDE, but nothing existing yet
                    Why shouldn't it....it's just an evolution of Leap. I don't know the details, but there would be protests if Plasma is not supported, since most openSUSE users use Plasma.
                    Please note that there are only prototypes for now, which I believe use Gnome because it is used in SUSE.
                    It seems to me that there will be another Leap service pack, so it's really too soon...​
                    Last edited by Charlie68; 23 December 2022, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X