X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does debian expect a fork in 2025?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Since Hollywood & Disney released it after 1993...then "NO...Never Heard Of It."

The last movie I EVER saw in a movie theater was in 1993...the original Jurrasic Park movie.
      based!

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
        that's fine and all unless you have 300+ debian servers in various release versions. some of them are stuck on specific release because production.
        Agreed; I'm not inclined to recommend what I do for a large server environment. Though honestly, I've had enough issues with Debian that I personally wouldn't use it for such an environment.​

Originally posted by reba View Post
        I wouldn't recommend this as "stable" is just a tag/label and changes, thus being a rather big upgrade from one stable (the installed) to another (when the tag moves), whereas "bullseye" stays bullseye, even after new stable releases are published.
        Honestly, I have very rarely noticed any big change when this happens. Granted, whenever I run Debian stable, I only have maybe 3GB of packages installed. If I'm running Debian as a desktop, I tend to use the testing repo.
        My recommendation: for stable, stay on the codename, for testing/unstable use these. Personally I also don't use the label "sid" but just "unstable". Wonder why they have it at all...
        I think this is sound advice.

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Yeah... I always hear about how perfect and wonderful Debian is and yet then everyone that uses debian goes on to list pages of bugs that they're experiencing with it that don't show up in non-Debian distros. I've always found it funny, and clearly the Debian Way (TM) isn't great. I really hate the myth that Stable Package Versions = Stable Software.
        I like Debian because it's a healthy mix of a vast repo with a lot of support for various architectures, it's pretty easy to set up (even from just a CLI) without making too many assumptions, it's widely supported, and they don't do too many downstream changes. But the stability... it's been bad enough that I just can't use it for desktop use.
        To me, it feels like Debian's definition of stable is just simply "old". I've seen many times where there is a newer stable release but Debian doesn't use it in the stable repo. A good example of this is PHP8, which now has a stable release yet isn't found in Debian stable. I get how for the sake of stability, Debian would default to PHP7, to not offer 8 at all is a bit weird to me.

Comment

Working...
        X