Debian 14 Codenamed "Forky"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    honestly, i don't care about their naming schemes.

but i would REALLY appreciate they could offer aliases on the mirrors with simply version numbers. it's a never ending headache to me figuring out which release is which.

especially buster vs bullseye - from the top of your head, which one do you think is newer?
    I don’t mean this in a snarky way, but is it really that cumbersome to look up the name and update your sources.list once every 2 years?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      What I usually do is just replace the codename with the type of branch it is. So for example in my sources.list, I'll replace all instances of "bullseye" with "stable" and then I never really have to worry about distro upgrades.
      It’s worth noting that Debian recommends against doing this in your sources.list.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLief View Post
        It’s worth noting that Debian recommends against doing this in your sources.list.
        I take Debian's recommendations with a grain of salt, considering I've had better stability with Arch than I have with an un-modified Debian sources.list. I've had fewer interruptions with distro upgrades when using "stable" in sources.list than I have doing their way of upgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
          FInally a good name!
          It seems perfect for Devuan.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            The naming scheme for Debian is quite lighthearted and witty and I am sure most everyone has heard of the Toy Story film?
            If this is some reply to me. Yeah I have seen the movie when I was 9 years old? and I was a total fan.
            But i only remember Buzz and Woody. Especially with 9y I was not able to speak english so the meaning of the names was not obvious to me.
            Makes them very difficult to remember. (Some got translated some not) Hamm - Specki, Bo Peep - Porzelinchen.

To twist it: imagein it would have been a german film and
            you are nine years old and you have to remember german nick names "Bestecki", "Holzi", "Hans Naseweis" for the next 25 years just to be able to get the latest Suse Codename "Blitz Lichtjahr" pun correctly

Besides the Codename question was not only related to debian
            Last edited by CochainComplex; 14 October 2022, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              The naming scheme for Debian is quite lighthearted and witty and I am sure most everyone has heard of the Toy Story film?
              Since Hollywood & Disney released it after 1993...then "NO...Never Heard Of It."

The last movie I EVER saw in a movie theater was in 1993...the original Jurrasic Park movie.

Comment

I take Debian's recommendations with a grain of salt, considering I've had better stability with Arch than I have with an un-modified Debian sources.list. I've had fewer interruptions with distro upgrades when using "stable" in sources.list than I have doing their way of upgrading.
                Yeah... I always hear about how perfect and wonderful Debian is and yet then everyone that uses debian goes on to list pages of bugs that they're experiencing with it that don't show up in non-Debian distros. I've always found it funny, and clearly the Debian Way (TM) isn't great. I really hate the myth that Stable Package Versions = Stable Software.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Did I miss the news, or is Debian switching to yearly releases starting with Debian 12?
                  https://lists.debian.org/debian-deve.../msg00004.html

Debian 14
                  =========

The release team has decided that the release after bookworm and
                  trixie will be called forky.

On behalf of the Release Team
                  Paul​

Comment

What I usually do is just replace the codename with the type of branch it is. So for example in my sources.list, I'll replace all instances of "bullseye" with "stable" and then I never really have to worry about distro upgrades.
                    that's fine and all unless you have 300+ debian servers in various release versions. some of them are stuck on specific release because production.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend this as "stable" is just a tag/label and changes, thus being a rather big upgrade from one stable (the installed) to another (when the tag moves), whereas "bullseye" stays bullseye, even after new stable releases are published.

My recommendation: for stable, stay on the codename, for testing/unstable use these. Personally I also don't use the label "sid" but just "unstable". Wonder why they have it at all...

Comment

Working...
                      X