No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.10 To Ship With WebP Image Support Out-Of-The-Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW most Ubuntu users also use the Chrome binary from Google, that has WebP built in.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      I think you mean the Ogg container format... but at least they have the decency to define different extensions you're supposed to use for different media types, similar to how WMV and WMA are both just ASF with different contents and how a lot of 90s formats with different extensions are just RIFF containers.
      Matroška has .mka for audio alone, .mkv for av, .mks for subtitles alone, and mk3d containers with stereoscopic video... and if you count WebM, .webm for mkv containers with only webm compatible codecs.
      Ogg has .ogg usually for audio alone, .oga for audio alone, .ogv for av, .ogx for fancy multiplexing, .spx for only Speex tracks, .opus for only Opus tracks. .ogm was technically the first "arbitrary multimedia" extension for the ogg format, though it is largely disused.
      MPEG 4 Part 14 has .mp4 which usually contains AV, .m4a which usually contains audio alone, .m4b for audio alone with chapters (think audiobook), .m4r for only ringtone codecs supported by iPhones, .m4v sometimes used for video alone, .3gp and .3g2 extensions for phone recordings, .m4p for iTunes music with DRM....

Aside from I guess AVI, most multi-purpose containers have extension naming schemes for different types of content; not having such a scheme would make you an outlier.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Except for WebP being EOLd.
        Doesn't work that way.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          MKV has left the chat
          That doesn't even make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            FWIW most Ubuntu users also use the Chrome binary from Google, that has WebP built in.
            What does that have to do with anything?

Comment

Originally posted by arzeth View Post

jxl is not supported by ImageMagick (convert) and browsers: https://caniuse.com/jpegxl
              avif is supported by 71.12% of users' browsers and it's not supported by desktop Safari: https://caniuse.com/avif and avif is bad at lossless.
              the browsers that support webp, can mostly be supported by avif, take a look at the charts, also webp lossless is worthless since its limited to 8bit anyways, also chrome is almost ready to toggle. maybe even within 4 or so monthgs

Unfortunately, it will be 7-8 years (2029-2030) before it's safe to use jxl exclusively.
              2-3 years before ALL browsers implement jxl
              + 5 years because some people use phones with a never updated 5-years-old browser (not enough disk space to update, or no Play Market). In my case I have to support Chrome 63+ (2017-12) because some people use it. And since a few people still use iOS 12-13.7, I also have to provide jpeg/png fallback for them.
              The goal here isnt to use it exclusively, its to replace webp, most services are already swapping webp to avif, since you still need jpeg for backup anyways, and the browsers that matter already support avif, any browser that doesn't gets the jpeg fallback mage

Yeah. It's like they looked at APNG and said "That one thing which is such an idiotic decision that APNG support can never get into libpng because libpng is the reference implementation and APNG is a direct violation of the PNG specification... let's do more of that".

Hell, why do we need any file extensions when we can mush everything together into a single file type?​
              file extensions are fundementally for the users, not the OS

Originally posted by leo_sk View Post

Which distros had it out of the box?
              I used arch, so its something I manually installed anyway, I think any distro that didnt have it, would be a terrible distro.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Except for WebP being EOLd.
              Webp has little life left in it, JXL and AVIF are superior to it in every way pretty much every way, and services are already moving to replace webp with avif, or potentially jxl when browsers enable support​​​​

Comment

You did confirm they're using WebP's lossless mode, right? Otherwise, it's more of a "JPEG but better for non-photographic stuff" comparison.
                I would rather use jpeg over webp since it can achieve really good results when optimized

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  the browsers that support webp, can mostly be supported by avif, take a look at the charts, also webp lossless is worthless since its limited to 8bit anyways
                  ​​​​
                  WebP lossless supports RGBA (24 bit RGB + 8 bit alpha), not 8 bits per pixel (colormap) images.

In my opinion, the biggest advantage of WebP is lossy RGBA, think of it as JPEG with transparency support.
                  There will always be better and newer image file formats, but it is becoming increasingly impossible to force all mainstream browser and application developers into supporting them. Or to educate general public about the usage and advantage of such formats.
                  For an average designer, it is too much to understand the difference between the lossy and lossless formats, alpha channel, image depth, dpi vs pixels in relation to physical size. And don't add confusion with metadata tags.

Comment

What do DSLRs shoot in? RAW and jpeg
                    What do semi-pro and prosumer cameras shoot in? jpeg.
                    What do smartphones shoot in? jpeg.
                    What do dashcams shoot static images in? jpeg.

Nobody working in the creative, e-commerce or hosted services industry I know gives a shit about webp, jxl avif or whatever newfangled format gets published.

Comment

A useful library. Thank you, installed it.

Comment

Working...
                      X