An Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Fix Is Coming For A Very Annoying & Serious APT Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Fix Is Coming For A Very Annoying & Serious APT Problem

Phoronix: An Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Fix Is Coming For A Very Annoying & Serious APT Problem

Recently on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS I've noticed that after installing dependencies for a number of benchmarks that the Ubuntu Linux installation is simply broken... I can start off with a clean install of Ubuntu 22.04 desktop but then after installing the dependencies for a number of tests, the Ubuntu installation is effectively unusable until going back and reinstalling numerous default packages. The desktop is no longer installed, networking support was dropped, and many other packages went missing. It turns out it's due to problematic and unintentional APT package management behavior that is now being fixed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

maybe they go lazy ... if deps are broken just spill a snap?

Comment

I don't know, removing entire ubuntu-desktop and systemd feels like not a bug, but a feature.

Comment

And they call it LTS...

Comment

Did the Ubuntu devs shout, "Oh! SNAP!" when they ran into this issue? or do they all use Fedora? /sarcasm

In my case, it is Debian Bookworm and that is not showing any issues here with APT.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
            And they call it LTS...
            Because the article says that Canonical declared 22.04 EOL and refused to fix the problem...

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
              And they call it LTS...
              Really? Long Term Support != All bugs fixed super-stable.

Every new L.T.S. that I tried has had a rough start. You can wait for point release if you want something that has been tested properly.

This coming from someone who frequently rages on Ubuntu. Yes these faults are embarrassing, but it should not be unexpected IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                In my case, it is Debian Bookworm and that is not showing any issues here with APT.
                This is not an Ubuntu-specific issue and it has nothing to do with snaps. https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/ap...e_requests/248

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                  Really? Long Term Support != All bugs fixed super-stable.
                  Stop with the logic. I want to hate on Ubuntu without reading the article or the bug report, or using any of my brain cells!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Stop with the logic. I want to hate on Ubuntu without reading the article or the bug report, or using any of my brain cells!
                    I understand this is a bug from upstream, but still, Ubuntu was expected to test their distro before releasing. I wonder how this escaped, it's not like Ubuntu has a short preview/beta window...

Comment

Working...
                    X