Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Chromium Snap Finally Seeing Progress On Supporting VA-API GPU Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Still waiting for an argument on why exactly should canonical do that. Bonus points if it's one that's doesn't just recite the same old talking points.
    Just that apps take somewhere between 10 and 30 seconds to start is already reason enough. I had someone ready to go back to windows as that is simply unacceptable.

Imagine telling someone GNU/Linux is faster and more efficient then Windows, and then their browser takes 30 god damn seconds to start. Canonical is such a disgrace to this community. There is absolutely no need for new talking points when years old unacceptable issues are still not fixed.
    Last edited by Alexmitter; 05 July 2022, 03:56 AM.

Comment

I wonder when Ubuntu comes to its senses and just drops the Snap crap???
      Fuck you Canonical with the Snap shit!
      We don't like it, we don't want it!

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

I might have to try that last flag. To my knowledge Google regularly breaks VA-API support and it takes forever for people to find out which voodoo ritual they have to do this time to get it working. The last thing that failed was --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder, but that flag about ChromeOS rubbish being defaulted to for no reason seems to be very new
        Got it working now, even on Wayland (through XWayland though, won't work on native Wayland mode) wirth
        Code:
        /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --ozone-platform-hint=x11 --use-gl=egl --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder --disable-features=UseChromeOSDirectVideoDecoder,UseSkiaRend erer --ignore-gpu-blocklist %U

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Fuck you Canonical with the Snap shit!
          We don't like it, we don't want it!
          If you don't like it, don't use it. Or you could go off like a bomb on every Phoronix article that mentions snaps. Either way...
          Last edited by DanL; 05 July 2022, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

If you don't like it, don't use it. Or you could go off like a bomb on every Phoronix article that mentions snaps. Either way...
            Nice joke. If you use anything Ubuntu based you pretty much need to block snapd from installing if you never ever want it to be installed by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
              So maybe 2022 will be the year of hardware video decoding in browsers by default on Linux. Yay!

It looks to me however that Chromium is several steps away from getting there
              Chromium VA-API GPU acceleration is more like legacy from ChromeOS. Ten years ago CromeOS was built with X.Org.

Comment

Working...
              X