openSUSE Tumbleweed's GCC 12 Upgrade Helping Performance In Some Areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Tumbleweed's GCC 12 Upgrade Helping Performance In Some Areas

Phoronix: openSUSE Tumbleweed's GCC 12 Upgrade Helping Performance In Some Areas

Last week the rolling-release openSUSE Tumbleweed switched to the new GCC 12 as the default system compiler and rebuilt its package set under this annual feature upgrade to the GNU Compiler Collection. For those curious here are some benchmarks before and after that GCC 12 transition for openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Decided to give it a try and KDE Plasma seems to run much better on openSUSE than on Fedora.

Comment

This is very interesting! Thank you,

Comment

i installed it recently alongside windows. (separate drives)
        The only thing annoying me is lack of GUi support for some apps (more support in manjaro and debian based).
        And Grub, have low resolution display (i'm on intel only) despite setting it to auto in yast. Grub is ugly. There is some conflict i can't find.
        As always, it looks very pro and clean maybe not the best choice for a beginner but definitely an OS very well built with quality in mind. German quality if you forgive this cliché

Comment

Originally posted by dangerzone View Post
          The only thing annoying me is lack of GUi support for some apps (more support in manjaro and debian based).
          What GUI support do you mean?

Comment

Would be interesting to see the changes in performance from FORTIFY_SOURCE=3. The next packages will be built with it activated but there will be no complete rebuild, see SUSE Tumbleweed – Review of the week 2022/20. I am afraid many regressions will get unnoticed.

Comment

Moreover, there is also the change with the implicit "-z now" flag. That might have perturbed the numbers making them not truly a comparison gcc11 vs gcc12, but really one TW against another TW.

Comment

Working...
              X