Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Release Candidate Images For Last Minute Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Look at the msix packaging that Windows uses for it's Microsoft Store. It provides all of the same benefits that snap and flatpak are trying to provide, while also having none of the drawbacks because MS figured it's shit out in Windows 8 and fixed everything by Windows 10.
    And as a "security measure" Microsoft made it so that (some?) games on the Windows Store are impossible to add to a 3rd party launcher (like Steam) so that (for example) I can't "Big Picture" Forza Horizon 4, or use a PS5 controller with it (PS5 controller works great in Steam, but otherwise Windows ignores it completely)...

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
      And as a "security measure" Microsoft made it so that (some?) games on the Windows Store are impossible to add to a 3rd party launcher (like Steam) so that (for example) I can't "Big Picture" Forza Horizon 4, or use a PS5 controller with it (PS5 controller works great in Steam, but otherwise Windows ignores it completely)...
      Isn't this the case because those games on the Windows store are actually UWP apps, whereas Steam only allows Win32/64 ones on their store?
      And AFAIK, those UWP games are encrypted to the core, meaning that you are not even allowed to open the folder containing these files in Explorer.

But since I haven't really used Windows for more than a decade by now, I'm only repeating what I read elsewhere here...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Isn't this the case because those games on the Windows store are actually UWP apps, whereas Steam only allows Win32/64 ones on their store?
        And AFAIK, those UWP games are encrypted to the core, meaning that you are not even allowed to open the folder containing these files in Explorer.

But since I haven't really used Windows for more than a decade by now, I'm only repeating what I read elsewhere here...
        Possible. I know Forza Horizon 4 was/is available on Steam as well, but I'd got it on the MS Store months previously on sale, and I'm not buying it twice. I don't know whether the Steam version is an encrypted-locked-down-nightmare-app either...?

Comment

The worst release ever!
          Fuck Snap with its forced upgrades and slow startup times!
          I think it's time for me to move to other distro.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
            If you hate snap & snapd, have been removing it from your *Ubuntu installation in the past few years you're [probably] going to hate 22.04. Firefox is now a snap package and it takes a ridiculously long time to start up initially and any subsequent times you close the browser and decide you need it again. Fair warning.
            The first launch takes a little time to import your settings and such, but after that, it starts up pretty quickly. I made a quick screencast of it yesterday, on my oldest system, which is now over 8 years old and it starts in about 3 seconds. I don't understand why that would be considered so extreme that it would drive people to hatred.

People keep telling me that starting Firefox from snap is incredibly slow. Is this so bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              The worst release ever!
              Fuck Snap with its forced upgrades and slow startup times!
              I think it's time for me to move to other distro.
              If you need to wait more than 60 days before installing any system updates, you have such special needs that you should probably just get the proxy and manage your updates directly. If you think that waiting so long between updating is not special, then I would contact the package maintainer and ask them to provide a package channel that never upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post

If someone knows how to remove snapd then It won't be difficult for him to replace firefox/snap with firefox/deb.
                install PopOS ..Ubuntu just in better.

Comment

Originally posted by howarth View Post

Unfortunately, a last minute change to gdm3 disabled Wayland on Nvidia until the first stable update (think Feb 2023) of 22.04 LTS.

gdm3 (42.0-1ubuntu6) jammy; urgency=medium
                  * Fix Wayland no longer being available for everyone - Fix by adding a separate revert patch instead of trying to rebase the cherry-picked patches (LP: #1969243)
                  * Please note that Wayland is not currently available for systems using the Nvidia graphics drivers because those drivers don't properly handle suspend and resuming from suspend. It is intended for those drivers to be fixed in a future stable release update for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. See bug 1968929
                  Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  With snap and flatpak, we're having a Wayland situation where they're pushing it on us before it's fully developed, while simultaneously not making developing it their primary focus because it's usage is too low.
                  as said multiple times - its nvidia not gnome nor wayland per se. Its crazy how often this blame shifting is repeated.

Wayland is ready - Nvidia is not.
                  Last edited by CochainComplex; 20 April 2022, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post
                    Switched to Debian Only thing missing is LXD.
                    You can snap install lxd. It's just important to remember that lxd is not downgradable so you should think about that if you swap channels.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                      I heard in a youtube video that no one uses stock Ubuntu anymore. It is all about Gnome3. People who use an Ubuntu LTS use one of the spins- Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc. I'm quite satisfied with Xubuntu for my needs and my parents needs, though with Chrome OS Flex a thing now I might look into how to install the Linux apps they need into a Crosoni VM and have them run ChromeOS instead.
                      This is simply not true at all. Stock ubuntu is by far the most used variant of Ubuntu and the only one you're ever likely to find "in the wild".

Comment

Working...
                      X