Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Release Candidate Images For Last Minute Testing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Release Candidate Images For Last Minute Testing

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Release Candidate Images For Last Minute Testing

    Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" is set to be officially released this Thursday while available today are the hopefully-final release candidate images...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...buntu-22.04-RC

  • #2
    If you hate snap & snapd, have been removing it from your *Ubuntu installation in the past few years you're [probably] going to hate 22.04. Firefox is now a snap package and it takes a ridiculously long time to start up initially and any subsequent times you close the browser and decide you need it again. Fair warning.
    Last edited by stormcrow; 19 April 2022, 12:38 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I heard in a youtube video that no one uses stock Ubuntu anymore. It is all about Gnome3. People who use an Ubuntu LTS use one of the spins- Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc. I'm quite satisfied with Xubuntu for my needs and my parents needs, though with Chrome OS Flex a thing now I might look into how to install the Linux apps they need into a Crosoni VM and have them run ChromeOS instead.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
        If you hate snap & snapd, have been removing it from your *Ubuntu installation in the past few years you're [probably] going to hate 22.04. Firefox is now a snap package and it takes a ridiculously long time to start up initially and any subsequent times you close the browser and decide you need it again. Fair warning.
        If someone knows how to remove snapd then It won't be difficult for him to replace firefox/snap with firefox/deb.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Setif View Post

          If someone knows how to remove snapd then It won't be difficult for him to replace firefox/snap with firefox/deb.
          Firefox .deb is phased out on 22.04, so the only alternative to Firefox Snap is to download the distro agnostic tarball from Mozilla's website.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by user1 View Post

            Firefox .deb is phased out on 22.04, so the only alternative to Firefox Snap is to download the distro agnostic tarball from Mozilla's website.
            Which auto-updates itself, straight from Mozilla, so it's a fantastic 1-on-1 replacement.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
              If you hate snap & snapd, have been removing it from your *Ubuntu installation in the past few years you're [probably] going to hate 22.04. Firefox is now a snap package and it takes a ridiculously long time to start up initially and any subsequent times you close the browser and decide you need it again. Fair warning.
              With 20.04, it was not difficult to replace snap with flatpak or with debs; basically Pop!OS also does exactly that.

              But with 22.04, it will be slightly more interesting: there won't be firefox in deb. On x86-64, just run firefox in flatpak, but on other archs, there is no flatpak firefox. Currently, on arm64, the only usable browser is Chromium flatpak; no Firefox and no native Chrome either.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

                Which auto-updates itself, straight from Mozilla, so it's a fantastic 1-on-1 replacement.
                I don't remember if the tarball is set to auto update by default, but if yes, you can turn it off. With Snap however, you can't.

                Comment


                • #9
                  defaults to using GNOME's Wayland session with NVIDIA's driver, GNOME triple buffering patches are included
                  Very excited for this release. Hopefully these two changes can finally fix the terrible multi-monitor Gnome performance with nVidia GPUs 🤞

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                    If you hate snap & snapd, have been removing it from your *Ubuntu installation in the past few years you're [probably] going to hate 22.04. Firefox is now a snap package and it takes a ridiculously long time to start up initially and any subsequent times you close the browser and decide you need it again. Fair warning.
                    There's a flatpak version of Firefox ("flatpak search firefox"), but I don't know how to get the current web cache/cookies/passwords to be ported to the flatpak version because they don't share the same location.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X