Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch-Based EndeavourOS "Apollo" Released

Phoronix: Arch-Based EndeavourOS "Apollo" Released

For those looking for an easy-to-use flavor of Arch Linux, EndeavourOS continues in this area of being a robust desktop-minded Linux distribution powered by Arch. Out today is EndeavourOS "Apollo" as its newest ISO of this rolling-release distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those looking for an easy-to-use flavor of Arch Linux
    But, but -- easy is evil....

Comment

Good luck trying to make Arch Linux package management "easy". There will always be those occasional scenarios that require manual intervention and there's no fixing it.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        Good luck trying to make Arch Linux package management "easy". There will always be those occasional scenarios that require manual intervention and there's no fixing it.
        You just described every package manager for every distribution.

Comment

That is why I can't recommend Manjaro to people not used to managing their own computer or who update infrequently.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

That is why I can't recommend Manjaro to people not used to managing their own computer or who update infrequently.
            And what would you recommend with KDE for a newbie? (Definitely not a ubuntu derivative, fuck snap-crap). Personally I use Manjaro and I'm thinking about switching to Arch.

Comment

That's one of the reasons why I was a bit surprised that Valve went with Arch for the Deck. Perhaps they just aren't expecting anyone to really manage packages (or use snaps or flatpaks or whatever) but it was an odd choice when if user-friendliness was to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

And what would you recommend with KDE for a newbie? (Definitely not a ubuntu derivative, fuck snap-crap). Personally I use Manjaro and I'm thinking about switching to Arch.
                Maybe the stable version of Neon? I know I wouldn't recommend an Arch based distro to my older uncle or my older mom. I have to do the updates to Xubuntu LTS for her. They would be lost in a rolling release distro. I think ChromeOS Flex is going to be great for a lot of less tech savy people! Once it gets out of beta I am thinking about installing it on some family member's computers!

Comment

MX KDE version. Ultra newbie-fied.

Comment

Manjaro, Arch, or SUSE Tumbleweed. As a long time KDE user I've had the best experiences with those distributions.

I'm using Manjaro and I'm sticking with it until SteamOS 3 has an official release. I assume that'll be one of the best choices for KDE once ready for mass consumption.

kylew77 I put Manjaro on my Mom's laptop, set it to auto-update, and never had an issue after that...until her battery quit working and it was cheaper to buy a used skylake desktop than a new laptop battery (damn, laptop batteries are expensive). In my experiences, if you keep the base OS to a minimum and stick to Flats there are usually next to no user update interventions, Arch or Manjaro. The few times interventions were needed it was almost always pressing "Y".

Personally, in 22 years or so of Linux I've had the worst times updating Ubuntu and Debian. Do a dist update and get asked if I want mpv or mplayer, pulseaudio or alsa, Oracle or Open Java, preferred shell, and things like that. The average user doesn't know that stuff and probably doesn't care; would rather have upstream just pick the appropriate ones and not nag them. What sucks is if you pick the wrong choices you could end up in Apt Dependency Hell.

People complain about that happening from time to time on Arch or Manjaro. I've learned that I prefer to deal with those issues as they happen, manual package interventions, versus dealing with 20 of them all at once when I do a major update on a non-rolling distribution.

Comment

Working...
                    X