Fedora 37 Considering Removal Of Legacy X.Org Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Please dismiss everything Volta says - he's one of the heaviest Linux zealots here. He either insults or talks BS.
    To be honest I don't expect much else from Phoronix forums. It's basically fanboys on both sides of the aisle, and mostly throwing around insults and strawmen instead of actual facts. Thus not terribly active here, but it does have some entertainment value.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Not strictly necessary but is likely going to see some usage atleast via XWayland for a while.

If your distribution is using Wayland by default for the desktop environment or window manager you prefer to use, I would suggest trying that out first. Fedora has been using the Wayland session with GNOME since Fedora 25, unless you were using Nvidia in which case it defaulted to Xorg till Fedora 36. KDE is using Wayland by default by Fedora 34

Wayland with XWayland for any legacy applications might work well for you. If not, typically your distribution likely has an Xorg session installed and readily available as well and you could switch that to that easily. If you happen to be using Fedora, the instructions for that is here
      many thanks for the clarification. Which are the best drivers that support Wayland? owner drivers? mesa drivers? How is managing Nvidia its drivers in order to make them compliant to wayland?
      Last edited by MorrisS.; 12 April 2022, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

If you don't mind losing the majority of Linux desktop users, then no.
        Yeah I'm not interested on losing any obsolescent software. Software has to improve so to harness the hardware potentiality.
        Last edited by MorrisS.; 12 April 2022, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

many thanks for the clarification. Which are the best drivers that support Wayland? owner drivers? mesa drivers? How is managing Nvidia their drivers in order to make them compliant to wayland?
          Best is subjective depending on your specific requirements. Having said that, Intel has been supporting it the longest amount of time, so probably has the most mature core support followed by AMD and then Nvidia (if you include h/w acceleration in XWayland) is fairly recent and some limitations (depending on the desktop environment). In the past, only the open source drivers from Intel and AMD allowed the display server to use the Generic Buffer Manager (gbm) and Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) APIs to manage hardware buffers set modes etc, the proprietary NVIDIA driver forced the display server to treat it differently (Eglstream). Nvidia driver also now supports a gbm backend, so there is more a shared infrastructure and less special purpose driver specific codepaths necessary. Things seem to be headed in the right direction overall regardless of the driver you use. If you like to be on the leading edge (latest kernel etc), then using whatever upstream supports directly would likely be the smoothest experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuchs View Post
            The configuration complained about is not directly related to Wayland, is about the removal of efifb from the kernel configuration and is only there since fedora 36.
            So..?

Originally posted by Fuchs View Post
            And plenty of other computers for specific use cases do not. I'm afraid that neither you nor your, quote, exascale supercomputers, are the one and only thing in existance, and people might rely on other stuff than you do. But I guess given you lack even the reading capability to understand what configuration is the one I was about it's asking for quite a lot for you to understand that, apologies.
            Actually, I use NV everything and I can confirm they are not "better".
            I am also not a pretentious idiot that thinks my hardware provider is (or should be) calling the shots here.

Comment

Simple solution to all the people complaining:
              1. Use Debian
              2. Use Ubuntu
              Personally, Debian has had become my favorite. True community distro.
              I went from Red Hat, to Fedora Core, to Fedora, to OpenSuse, to Ubuntu, To Debian.

The last 2 take the cake, but specifically Debian because they support everything!

Comment

Originally posted by zparihar View Post
                Simple solution to all the people complaining:
                1. Use Debian
                2. Use Ubuntu
                Personally, Debian has had become my favorite. True community distro.
                I went from Red Hat, to Fedora Core, to Fedora, to OpenSuse, to Ubuntu, To Debian.

The last 2 take the cake, but specifically Debian because they support everything!
                I could use debian but I cannot stand apt/dpkg. Also, I need a distro which is secure boot enabled out of the box and Debian is not.

Comment

Working...
                X