Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
    Is xorg still necessary?
    Not strictly necessary but is likely going to see some usage atleast via XWayland for a while.

If your distribution is using Wayland by default for the desktop environment or window manager you prefer to use, I would suggest trying that out first. Fedora has been using the Wayland session with GNOME since Fedora 25, unless you were using Nvidia in which case it defaulted to Xorg till Fedora 36. KDE is using Wayland by default by Fedora 34

Wayland with XWayland for any legacy applications might work well for you. If not, typically your distribution likely has an Xorg session installed and readily available as well and you could switch that to that easily. If you happen to be using Fedora, the instructions for that is here
    Last edited by RahulSundaram; 08 April 2022, 01:49 PM. Reason: updated release link

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Exactly, you can use *any* Xserver. It doesn't have to be Xorg.

Yes, Xwayland

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Not strictly necessary but is likely going to see some usage atleast via XWayland for a while.

If your distribution is using Wayland by default for the desktop environment or window manager you prefer to use, I would suggest trying that out first. Fedora has been using the Wayland session with GNOME since Fedora 25, unless you were using Nvidia in which case it defaulted to Xorg till Fedora 36. KDE is using Wayland by default by Fedora 34

Wayland with XWayland for any legacy applications might work well for you. If not, typically your distribution likely has an Xorg session installed and readily available as well and you could switch that to that easily. If you happen to be using Fedora, the instructions for that is here
        I have to admit I don't care about Nvidia and its proprietary driver, I got rid of it years ago.
        What I wanted to ask and how some spins like Xfce that don't have any wayland support (I don't use Xfce) will do is just curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          What I wanted to ask and how some spins like Xfce that don't have any wayland support (I don't use Xfce) will do is just curiosity.
          While I originally created the Fedora Xfce spin back in 2008 (Fedora 8), I am no longer actively involved in Fedora or Xfce but your question prompted to take a quick look. What I do know is that while GTK already supports Wayland, the Xfce development community is pretty small with the Xfce founder now working on Mutter, that might be the path they take to accomplish full support. https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap hasn't been updated in a year and it's been a couple of years since their last release. Looking at their git history, most of their recent commits seems like just translations, so it might be a while.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

While I originally created the Fedora Xfce spin back in 2008 (Fedora 8), I am no longer actively involved in Fedora or Xfce but your question prompted to take a quick look. What I do know is that while GTK already supports Wayland, the Xfce development community is pretty small with the Xfce founder now working on Mutter, that might be the path they take to accomplish full support. https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap hasn't been updated in a year and it's been a couple of years since their last release. Looking at their git history, most of their recent commits seems like just translations, so it might be a while.
            In fact that's what I thought. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Another interesting change from Planet Fedora.

Fedora might get to the point that it is so cutting edge that the hardware required to run it will not even exist on a drawing board yet!

Makes me glad that I removed Fedora from my systems around Fedora 9 or 11 timeframe. I do not miss spending an hour or two thinning down the installed Fedora distribution to remove all of the BLOATware that came with it. That hassle made Fedora simply not worth the trouble for me. YMMV

And I still remember the early days of Intel's Clear Linux where the installer would not install anything if it detected it was being run on a non-Intel CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Fedora might get to the point that it is so cutting edge that the hardware required to run it will not even exist on a drawing board yet!

Makes me glad that I removed Fedora from my systems around Fedora 9 or 11 timeframe. I do not miss spending an hour or two thinning down the installed Fedora distribution to remove all of the BLOATware that came with it. That hassle made Fedora simply not worth the trouble for me. YMMV
                Fedora is already cutting edge since 21 release separated into Server, Workstation, CoreOS in addition of various spins an specialization like Design Suite thus more focused than 11 release era. Additionally, the use of GNOME Software for upgrading to the latest release made it seamless. It looks like your info is outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                  That is because of either developers or manufacturers like Lenovo taking interest of using Fedora.

Comment

Fedora has been sending a clear message: Only use Fedora if you have the latest, greatest, expensive hardware costing thousands of dollars. Dont even think of using anything 10 years. Throw away perfectly good hardware into landfill to leak toxic metals into groundwater and be a part of the ewaste problem. Look, Linux has been in part about saving older computers ignored by the other OSs. people with these expenive $2000 dollar systems are running Windows anyway because Linux has such awful support for gaming/production apps anyway. Older computers are the main user base. Why dont you idiots at Fedora/Red Hat fix Wine so you can actually run applications and actually make hardware support more wide ranging than less wide ranging so linux runs on more than a narrow range of hardware. You are turning Fedora into a completely pathetic and useless distro. Give me a friggin break you low life Fedora scums.

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
                      Fedora has been sending a clear message: Only use Fedora if you have the latest, greatest, expensive hardware costing thousands of dollars. Dont even think of using anything 10 years.
                      Yes. Or more or less. "Expensive" is relative. In my country, anything new can count as expensive relative to income, regardless of it being low or high end, but in richer countries you can get rather cheap computers that can run Fedora. But certainly they don't have any consideration for old hardware, even if cheap does run.

Throw away perfectly good hardware into landfill to leak toxic metals into groundwater and be a part of the ewaste problem.
                      No. Use another distro with a focus on maximum device lifespan. Fedora has been, at least for some time, about trying new ideas without regards for long term support. And it's a valid use case, but that conflicts with prioritizing running on older hardware.

Look, Linux has been in part about saving older computers ignored by the other OSs.
                      Not really. That's a side-effect of having an open development process that allows for people to scratch their own itches. That's why distros with different focuses emerge. Sadly, at some point it turned from "scratching your own itch" to "expect someone else to scratch your itch and bitch when they don't".
                      I concede that most end users running Linux on personal computers do so because it tends to support old hardware better than the latest and greatest Windows, but really development and maintenance can only come from either of:
                      - Volunteer work, where the developer is the same person as one of the users, and picks what to work on in their free time;
                      - Paid work, where the employer picks what to work on with a focus on paying customers' needs.
                      What you get for free, you thank and shut up. You can criticize of course, so people who want to improve the product of their efforts have a guide, but you can not at all demand anything, let alone saying what other people's work "is partly about".

people with these expenive $2000 dollar systems are running Windows anyway because Linux has such awful support for gaming/production apps anyway.
                      Not necessarily. Not all expensive systems are for gaming. My own workstation* runs primarily Linux. I rarely boot into Windows, only if a particular game is not supported, and really I don't game that much either.

*I do regret spending that much money on a computer when I always aim for efficiency, I paid a premium for something that could have been cheap.

Older computers are the main user base.
                      Not nearly. The main user base is servers, specially cloud nowadays. Further, that's pretty much the only paying userbase. Those who fund development.

Why dont you idiots at Fedora/Red Hat fix Wine so you can actually run applications and actually make hardware support more wide ranging than less wide ranging so linux runs on more than a narrow range of hardware.
                      The real question is why you don't fix WINE and make hardware support more wide ranging.

You are turning Fedora into a completely pathetic and useless distro. Give me a friggin break you low life Fedora scums.
                      Luckily there are many other distros that will suit your needs much better. Give people actually doing stuff a break. Support the distros that do help you instead.

DISCLAIMER: I don't use or even like Fedora.

Comment

Working...
                      X