Fedora 37 Considering Removal Of Legacy X.Org Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

I don't know what you want to point out exactly but you and birdie did quote me exactly on my first response directly

"Tldr: Despite the inflammatory language here, developers who have worked on Xorg are not enemies of the community. There is a fallback in place"

So, my edits here are a red-herring.
    Hardly, since not all of them have been quoted. But you are moving goal posts here, from "it's not bad" to "it works for me", from "it's not politics" to "it's not yelling" to "it's correct", asking for bug reports and facts and then just dropping these topics when the other user delivers, then moving on to language and discussion style instead of facts.

If you want to stay on the topic, gladly let's.

1) what is the configuration you are using, that is working?

2) what is a pragmatic reason for disabling efifb and not re-enabling it when it is known that it will break configurations?

3) what is the actual win of disabling it, since it's not deprecating code that fedora manages / has to maintain?

4) how are we to know that this proposed f37 change doesn't have the same effect as said f36 change?

Looking forward to your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuchs View Post

Hardly, since not all of them have been quoted
      Every part of my summary in https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...15#post1318315 is quoted directly or remains unedited. Be specific and clear about what you wanted to point out before jumping on to a list of questions.

Comment

Every part of my summary in https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...15#post1318315 is quoted directly or remains unedited. Be specific and clear about what you wanted to point out before jumping on to a list of questions.
        So no replies to the questions that would be on-topic then, okay, noted. You demand, you don't deliver. So I guess it is indeed pointless to discuss this any further, and my opinion and thus message to other users will remain the same.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          What if I want to use Fedora 37 in a VM which doesn't support EFI? What if I want to test Fedora while minimizing its RAM consumption? Well, I no longer can.
          According to the change proposal:
          Given that the major virtualization solutions (vsphere, kvm, xen, bhve, virtualbox, ...) all support UEFI today, this would likely be exposing an existing capability rather than making a sweeping change.
          So it should be fine. Not sure how any of that would affect RAM usage though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

According to the change proposal:

So it should be fine. Not sure how any of that would affect RAM usage though.
            "Major" is a keyword here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuchs View Post

unfortunately you seem to have the habit of editing your posts to match whatever you like later. So this is a bit pointless I guess.
              Phoronix lets you know if a user edits their comment, BTW. Which simply makes your statement untrue.

Comment

That's a silly thing to say. Every single distribution has to deal with the issue of removing older and legacy code. Arch dropped official support for 32 bit architecture in 2017 for example. Community isn't a magical thing, regardless of whether that community is a bunch of employees or volunteers, resources are always finite. Eventually legacy code gets dropped.
                Arch is the only community that isn't interest to anything that is legacy in the first place.

The distros that are always complaining about maintaining software are mostly Fedora, Ubuntu and OpenSuse, what extraordinarily coincidence...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

Arch is the only community that isn't interest to anything that is legacy in the first place.

The distros that are always complaining about maintaining software are mostly Fedora, Ubuntu and OpenSuse, what extraordinarily coincidence...
                  What is also common between Arch, Fedora, Ubuntu and OpenSUSE is that they are all popular distros with frequent releases so see news about changes more often. Many of them also have developers working closely with upstream if not involved the upstream development directly. More conservative distributions have to do with legacy code and deprecations as well, just not quite as often. Nobody is really immune to tech debt in any large software projects.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
                    Is xorg still necessary?
                    TL;TR No!

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

TL;TR No!
                      Exactly, you can use *any* Xserver. It doesn't have to be Xorg.

Comment

Working...
                      X