Asahi Linux Issues First Alpha Release For Running Linux On Apple Silicon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

No, that wouldn't work at all, and simply is just not how successful reverse engineering projects work. You have to be able to interact with functioning hardware to understand how things work. In fact, from my understang much of this work wouldnt have been possible without some custom virtualization software that allowed things like monitoring of things like pci bus traffic
    They have studied the driver in action on macos (which is why the linux M1 gpu driver started as a userspace driver on macos), but it doesn't really matter as much how you learn how it works. Documentation, dissection, whatever. At least dissection gives you an idea how it *actually* works. The missing ingredient is always manpower, as with all open source projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      ... What they have is a blockbuster server chip on their hands. But to take advantage of that they need linux. ...
      Server with soldered storage? Looks like it will be a really nice server

She hasn't bricked it, but they do have a very competent gpu driver developer daily-driving one of these things who also happens to be the person developing the M1 gpu driver.
      Really? Good news. Another good news is when Apple decided to make storage socketed rather than soldered.

But still, they're like threading in thin ice. If apple had a bad day, they could disabling all support for linux.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
        Server with soldered storage? Looks like it will be a really nice server
        Server *chip.* Learn to read.

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
        Really? Good news. Another good news is when Apple decided to make storage socketed rather than soldered.

But still, they're like threading in thin ice. If apple had a bad day, they could disabling all support for linux.
        People have been fear-mongering over this for what? Over a year now?

Apple spent considerable development time and effort implementing the boot policy system that made this possible, custom for the M1. They've continued to make changes and fix things that are *only* a problem for the Asahi team and have no effect on macos. At this point, there's all but official endorsement of the project.

Why don't you go whine and complain about google instead? I'm sure they'll lock down their depthcharge bootloader payload and coreboot bios any day now, and evict all the people running linux-libre on their C201 chromebooks. After all, google has given those people far less help (zero, in fact) and are actually known for cancelling projects at the drop of a hat.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

they failed on the server market with macos... they will not fail on the server market with linux as an OS,,,
          I'm not so sure about that. Android is the most-used smartphone OS, yet LG, a very succesful company in many areas, couldn't compete in the smartphone space. Same goes for Microsoft: their Android approach isn't working either. So it's not a given that Apple would be successful with Linux in the server space, no matter how popular Linux is and how well-known Apple is.

Comment

They've continued to make changes and fix things that are *only* a problem for the Asahi team and have no effect on macos. At this point, there's all but official endorsement of the project.
            I see this Apple movement more like a way to avoid future lawsuits of monopoly and so on instead of endorsement to the project.

This way they can just say in court that one can install any other OS in the hardware without needing to spend millions in court

Comment

They rival the best x86 chips in performance while drawing a fraction of the power. What they have is a blockbuster server chip on their hands. But to take advantage of that they need linux. Nobody will deploy real servers on macos.
              right because of the performance per watt it is a very good server chip
              also they tried macos servers in the past and it failed... this means you are right if they want to sell their chips into the server market they need linux support.

and why not _?= linux in the server market on apple hardware is no danger to their desktop and smartphone walled garden.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

I see this Apple movement more like a way to avoid future lawsuits of monopoly and so on instead of endorsement to the project.

This way they can just say in court that one can install any other OS in the hardware without needing to spend millions in court
                As if apple have ever cared about that for 30+ years? It was microsoft that bailed them out, not the other way around.

Either way, it leads to the same result.

Comment

As if apple have ever cared about that for 30+ years? It was microsoft that bailed them out, not the other way around.
                  Either way, it leads to the same result.
                  in my point of view apple never had the marketshare to have a monopoly...

it was only microsoft and intel who had monopoly like marketshare...

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

While the IMac, Mini &. MacBooks do have this, It appears the Mac Studio does have 2 slots for upgradeable nvme storage. It isn’t documented by Apple as having these two slots, But was found by a tear down over on Max Tech on YouTube.
                    And another reviewer confirmed that the slots is protected by Apple software. So, nope. You cannot self-upgrade your mac. Must via apple.

Comment

Server *chip.* Learn to read.

Why don't you go whine and complain about google instead? I'm sure they'll lock down their depthcharge bootloader payload and coreboot bios any day now, and evict all the people running linux-libre on their C201 chromebooks. After all, google has given those people far less help (zero, in fact) and are actually known for cancelling projects at the drop of a hat.
                      Apple server chip? Lol. If only it's that easy to create server chip. But let's see.

And yes, I *whine* about chromebook too. Non-serviceable junk that when something break (mem, storage) you then just throw it to bin.

I'm no fanboy, like somebody

Comment

Working...
                      X