Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Users: What i686 Packages Do You Still Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    On certain machines I use nothing but 32-bit, either due to architecture requirements or due to the vastly lower memory tax. So I certainty don't use any flavor of Fedora. Failure to offer options on everything from Soystem-D to architecture means to me that this simply is not a serious distro for serious work, but rather an attempt to push ever more soystems into the IBM walled garden.
    I've never understood the appeal of Fedora Linux, it seems like a test bed for RHEL and is super experimental. The couple of times I've ran it, it was way less stable than Debian or *Buntu LTS. I've since moved on to the world of *BSDs. FreeBSD and OpenBSD have a much more stable base particularly FreeBSD. For Linux needs I stick with an Xubuntu LTS. ChromeOS Flex is very appealing to me now too for a hardened Linux base and it runs Debian in a virtual machine for all my Linux apps. The only problem is the VM uses up a ton of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I've never understood the appeal of Fedora Linux, it seems like a test bed for RHEL and is super experimental.
      That statement is completely outdated as it is like saying Debian Unstable is a test bed for Ubuntu. Fedora is more leading edge stable release with frequent update of kernels.

Comment

Fedora: “What i686 packages do you still use?”
        Phoronix/Die-hard Linux users: “All of them!!!”

Comment

i686 packages in use: None.

It would be nice if Fedora would go x86_64 only with multilib as an alternative version for those who need it.

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          I've never understood the appeal of Fedora Linux, it seems like a test bed for RHEL and is super experimental. The couple of times I've ran it, it was way less stable than Debian or *Buntu LTS.
          It's Red Hat's desktop product, and yes, it does also test packages which will end up in CentOS and RHEL. There is no free lunch, and being a test bed is how Fedora pays for itself.

Stable is the domain of CentOS and RHEL. I've run them as desktops before, and it's a lot more work then running Fedora. Fedora is about features for end users. There is some package churn, but the upside is newer code.
          Last edited by portablenuke; 17 March 2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
            I have way too many 686 packages installed. I believe that they were installed long time ago to run some old 32bit game with wine.

I blame Fedora upgrades working too well and never forcing me to make a clean installation and get rid of old garbage
            Find a low level package like glic and try removing the i686 version and see what all it wants to take with it. If it is to scary then just select no. But it will give you an idea of what is dependant on it. If it is nothing you care about let it remove it and enjoy the free space. I would also recommend any packages older than 2 releases old, if they haven't been updated they are likely cruft.

An easier but riskier way to do it is with a dnf distro-sync.

Comment

still use quite a few applications that rely on 32 bit opengl.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Fedora Users: What i686 Packages Do You Still Use?
                All the ones upstream didn't already break by silently depending on opt-in 686 extensions like SSE.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
                  Flatpaked Steam has various annoying implications such as using Mesa from Flatpak. Depending on what GPU you have, this may not be an option for some people.
                  This can happen with the host distribution as well with mesa. flatpak it is possible to override the complete runtime. So the mesa example is not a reason against the flatpak option long term. Yes will have to use to use the custom flatpak runtime solution on odd cards.

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
                  The README on GitHub specifically states "6) Performance Don't expect this to be fast." so this will not be an option for most people even when it is ready.
                  True hangover prototype is using qemu yes this has overhead. Hangover items merged mainline wine will progressively reduce the 32 bit library requirement by having items done in the wine virtual equal to the windows kernel space of course this is able to be 64 bit not 32 bit.

Work from hangover merging back into mainline wine does not mean what will be in mainline wine will be exactly the same.

Wine developers have been seeing the writing on the wall for host providing 32 bit libraries for a while and are working to solution. This is purely a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by iskra32 View Post

Paranoia about IBM, insane "bloat avoidance", usage of the word 'soy' twice, hating systemd. Checks half of the boxes of that particular stereotype in 2 sentences.
                    Saying IBM is your friend is like saying Russia will never attack any other country.

I will miss those old school folks saying soy, get off my lawn etc. stuff. Luckily I begin to be old myself, so I can leave this scene altogether too

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

Saying IBM is your friend is like saying Russia will never attack any other country.
                      I don't believe anyone claimed IBM was their friend. But they aren't mortal enemies, either. They're a large multinational company that doesn't care about anything other than making money, just like every other large multinational company.

If you can come up with a compelling business case reason for them to do nasty stuff to linux users, then fine. Go ahead and lay that out here. But claiming that they're just naturally evil or will inevitably betray everyone for no reason is just lazy.

Comment

Working...
                      X