Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Users: What i686 Packages Do You Still Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Users: What i686 Packages Do You Still Use?

Phoronix: Fedora Users: What i686 Packages Do You Still Use?

As part of wanting to drop unused i686 package builds from Fedora Linux, Fedora developers -- and in particular the Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee -- want to know from the community what i686 (x86 32-bit) packages users still make use of...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On certain machines I use nothing but 32-bit, either due to architecture requirements or due to the vastly lower memory tax. So I certainty don't use any flavor of Fedora. Failure to offer options on everything from Soystem-D to architecture means to me that this simply is not a serious distro for serious work, but rather an attempt to push ever more soystems into the IBM walled garden.

Comment

Can't they just count how many time each package is downloaded from their repos?

Comment

I did a seek and destroy on all my 32bit packages a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
          Can't they just count how many time each package is downloaded from their repos?
          Many or even most repos are hosted by third parties, so aggregating statistics that way may not be super accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
            Most downloads are from 3rd party mirror providers which do not provide any logs (if they keep them at all) upstream to the project itself. And to the question actually asked (the usage) downloads on their own do not indicate the reasons for the download, or if the software is still in use (some people will download/install something and then decide to delete it because it was not what they wanted/needed). And downloads may further not be relevant as for those that have been upgrading for years they might very well be downloading and upgrading software they no longer use.

Comment

It's not just packages, but mostly non-packages (like games and apps not on the Fedora repos).

Comment

I use 32-bit libraries for Steam and my Brother printer driver. I'm not a Fedora user though.

Comment

Not a Fedora user, but I need a handful of 32-bit packages to play games...... So I can imagine many if not all Fedora users who play games are in the same boat?
                  On Arch, things like lib32-vulkan, lib32-wayland, lib32-pipewire, lib32-sdl* .... to name a few!

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    On certain machines I use nothing but 32-bit, either due to architecture requirements or due to the vastly lower memory tax. So I certainty don't use any flavor of Fedora. Failure to offer options on everything from Soystem-D to architecture means to me that this simply is not a serious distro for serious work, but rather an attempt to push ever more soystems into the IBM walled garden.
                    Paranoia about IBM, insane "bloat avoidance", usage of the word 'soy' twice, hating systemd. Checks half of the boxes of that particular stereotype in 2 sentences.

Comment

Working...
                    X