Manjaro 21.2 Released With Better Btrfs Support, Linux 5.15 LTS Powered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manjaro 21.2 Released With Better Btrfs Support, Linux 5.15 LTS Powered

Phoronix: Manjaro 21.2 Released With Better Btrfs Support, Linux 5.15 LTS Powered

Arch-based Manjaro Linux is out with version 21.2 "Qonos" ahead of the holidays in offering some nice incremental updates for this popular enthusiast distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Okay, who else is a big enough nerd they instantly recognized the name and got upset at the improper spelling?

Comment

Originally posted by jeoshua View Post
      Okay, who else is a big enough nerd they instantly recognized the name and got upset at the improper spelling?
      Qapla'

Comment

I'm not really familiar with Manjaro and too lazy to spin a VM and install it so I'm asking here: how does it differ from Arch? Is it a GUI-based, end-user oriented derivative of Arch?

Comment

Memejaro, brokenjaro...

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            I'm not really familiar with Manjaro and too lazy to spin a VM and install it so I'm asking here: how does it differ from Arch? Is it a GUI-based, end-user oriented derivative of Arch?
            Yes, with a default theme and its own repositories that keep things slightly more stable on average. It focuses on several spins, KDE, GNOME, XFCE and a few user provided ones.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Yes, with a default theme and its own repositories that keep things slightly more stable on average. It focuses on several spins, KDE, GNOME, XFCE and a few user provided ones.
              Ok thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Ok thanks for the info
                The biggest difference between the two are Manjaro's custom themes (bash, Plasma, GNOME, everywhere) and how they manage kernels. Manjaro ships their stable/release kernels with additional, optional, modules like ZFS, Nvidia, etc. If you use those and then you switch to an AUR kernel you have to make sure you install the dkms version of their modules, not move your kernel ahead too fast. Also, if you use ZFS, Nvidia, etc sometimes they'll release RC kernels that don't have all their usual modules supported just yet (something I have to take note of as a ZFS user). Other than those two things you can basically treat Manjaro just like Arch.

Basically, Ubuntu is to Debian what Manjaro is to Arch. Similar base, similar style of system management, only one caters to newer and less experienced users a lot more than the other.

Oh, and I find this part funny, even though there's a big overlap in the Arch/Manjaro communities and forums, if you ask a question on the Arch forums you'll be called a dumbass poopy head and, at best, given a link to the wiki to RTFM whereas if you ask the exact same question on the Manjaro forums that exact same person, instead of calling you names, will try to give you actual help instead of a link and telling you to RTFM.

Comment

Manjaro is Arch just bloated.

Comment

I had to look at the comments to see if there was some sad Manjaro bashing. I wasn’t disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                    X