X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dylanmtaylor
    replied
    Originally posted by itoffshore View Post

EndeavourOS is a nice GUI install of Arch with a btrfs subvol partition layout possible
    btrfs subvolumes are possible using archinstall

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Chrome OS uses Gentoo as a base, so in a sense Gentoo is also for normies now. Better switch to LFS, which will never become normy territory!!!
    I don't know, should we count buildroot? (?)

Originally posted by lumks View Post

The plan was to have the graphical installer webbased. Archinstall just spawns a webserver where you can connect from another device, or via custom archiso on a local browser. This was already working prior official release via "archinstall_gui", but was dropped to focus on archinstall first. If this still is a planned thing is something I don't know. A hardcoded installer GUI as we have on Ubuntu is no option, I'm with you on that.
    Let me know if I got it straight. The idea of doing it web based is to enable the tool to be used for headless boxes too, right? That sounds damned cool.

Leave a comment:

• itoffshore
    replied
    Originally posted by alex19EP View Post

if GUI installer could be implemented as a plugin to archinstall IMO that would be nice and welcome thing.
    EndeavourOS is a nice GUI install of Arch with a btrfs subvol partition layout possible

Leave a comment:

• hax0r
    replied
    Arch needs to support secure boot like Fedora/Ubuntu/openSUSE does with the signed shim, disabling secure boot can be problematic and unwanted, I don't get why they don't support it.

Leave a comment:

• guglovich
    replied
    Decided to try it out on a laptop the other day, and there the wi-fi connection has been changed to a more sophisticated IWD. They simplify one thing and complicate another.

Leave a comment:

• mirmirmir
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

I doubt it will use the same arch repo, it will become something like manjaro with packages out of date
    steamOS is immutable system. That means, it's closer to fedora silverblue than to arch. I just can't imagine how immutable system works out with archlinux traditional package.

Also, flatpak is clearly mentioned in the live stream. It's interesting to see how they are going to handle desktop side of things.

But users are free to install their OS right? I wonder how practical it is... I mean, putting traditional deskop into handheld device definitely will make worse experience than the default OS tailored for the device.
    Last edited by mirmirmir; 25 November 2021, 03:38 PM. Reason: more text after 'how pratical it is...'

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
    Seems like Arch is for normies now. I am using Gentoo GNU/Linux, btw.
    Chrome OS uses Gentoo as a base, so in a sense Gentoo is also for normies now. Better switch to LFS, which will never become normy territory!!!

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

I doubt it will use the same arch repo, it will become something like manjaro with packages out of date
    Depends. Chrome OS uses Gentoo as a base, but it follows updates under the hood (i.e. belonging to the Gentoo base rather than Chrome OS's GUI) quite well.

Leave a comment:

• kiffmet
    replied
    Seems like Arch is for normies now. I am using Gentoo GNU/Linux, btw.

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If Arch is so bad as a daily driver, then why does Valve use it as a base for SteamOS?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X