Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Releases Pop!_OS 21.04 With New COSMIC Desktop

Phoronix: System76 Releases Pop!_OS 21.04 With New COSMIC Desktop

Linux PC hardware manufacturer System76 has released Pop!_OS 21.04 as the newest version of their Ubuntu downstream that also features their new GNOME-based COSMIC desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

After watching a couple of those videos I expected a line along the lines of "Use Super + Up or Down To Switch Yada or use a Three Finger Swipe Up or Down. If you have a Mouse, Fuck You". Just saying that I really got the feeling that they cater towards laptops without mice.

t: for run program and d: for recent? There's no t in run nor d in recent. Out of all the things in the release notes those two stood out.

I wish them the best of luck. Making GNOME not suck is a daunting task. I also have to say that I like the Pop!_OS way of doing it over Ubuntu. One massive integrated overhaul versus layering plugins from multiple sources. One has a seamless, professional feel and the other looks like plugins layered from multiple sources.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      After watching a couple of those videos I expected a line along the lines of "Use Super + Up or Down To Switch Yada or use a Three Finger Swipe Up or Down. If you have a Mouse, Fuck You". Just saying that I really got the feeling that they cater towards laptops without mice.

t: for run program and d: for recent? There's no t in run nor d in recent. Out of all the things in the release notes those two stood out.

I wish them the best of luck. Making GNOME not suck is a daunting task. I also have to say that I like the Pop!_OS way of doing it over Ubuntu. One massive integrated overhaul versus layering plugins from multiple sources. One has a seamless, professional feel and the other looks like plugins layered from multiple sources.
      The video was actually recorded before the prefixes of plugins were finalized. Running a command is `run`. Recent is `recent`, File search is `file`. Etc.

Comment

I wish more extensions worked like that. I have Dash to Panel installed and have it set to go opaque when windows a maximized. I also want to use a blur extension to give it a frosted look when it's opaque but I kind of hate that these features aren't aware of each other. It would definitely save a little bit on resources if it wasn't updating the blur while the panel is opaque.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

The video was actually recorded before the prefixes of plugins were finalized. Running a command is `run`. Recent is `recent`, File search is `file`. Etc.
          I was going by what was posted in the blog, not the video.
          • Search recent files using the prefix: d: (ex. d:FileName)
          • Run a command using one of three prefixes: t: or : or run (ex. run top)
          It's just the shorthand forms that are a bit ??? to me. The full name ones make total sense in a functional, pragmatic way. I dig those. But t for run, d for recent??? With that lettering I guess that p: is for Bash and j: is for Python

Joking aside, those would be cool features to have...quick, interactive scripting shells right in the bar or as a shortcut to start a scripting session in a terminal window.

Comment

I was going by what was posted in the blog, not the video.
            • Search recent files using the prefix: d: (ex. d:FileName)
            • Run a command using one of three prefixes: t: or : or run (ex. run top)
            It's just the shorthand forms that are a bit ??? to me. The full name ones make total sense in a functional, pragmatic way. I dig those. But t for run, d for recent??? With that lettering I guess that p: is for Bash and j: is for Python

Joking aside, those would be cool features to have...quick, interactive scripting shells right in the bar or as a shortcut to start a scripting session in a terminal window.
            There is also a shell script plugin built in. Scripts can be placed in `~/.local/share/pop-shell/scripts/`, and there must be metadata describing the script at the top of the file, like:

Code:
            #!/bin/sh
            #
            # name: Switch to Compute Graphics
            # icon: preferences-system-symbolic
            # description: Use integrated GPU for display; discrete for CUDA / OpenCL
            # keywords: compute graphics switch nvidia

Comment

Switching to KDE and contributing to it would be more profitable than forking GNOME and trying to make it better.
              Last edited by StarterX4; 30 June 2021, 12:42 AM.

Comment

I'm really not the target of this desktop. Just tried it for a few moment and I think it's horrible to use, yet I have to say that I'm pretty much used to GNOME, So maybe thats the cause. But maaan, shoving that much manpower in the desktop experience and this is the outcome feels like a lot of wasted energy. I'm honestly disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                  Switching to KDE and contributing to it would be more profitable than forking GNOME and trying to make it better.
                  I'm glad that they went for GNOME instead of KDE because KDE still looks so cluttered and dated compared to GNOME. They're making steps in the right direction but GNOME is still way more modern.

Also, Cosmic isn't even a GNOME fork, it's an extension.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                    there are still people liking gnome more than a windows wm copy (provocation intended). since it is the default wm on fedora, ubuntu, pop, clear linux ...etc it can not be that bad. For a second ... let us Just imagine the Distro maintainers : ...well I'm using KDE and the most of us too but just to annoy our users let us ship the distro by default with gnome ..my fellow maintainers are you in ? ..hehe ...*chanting choire* yes me lord..... *facepalm*
                    Last edited by CochainComplex; 30 June 2021, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X