No announcement yet.

System76 Releases Pop!_OS 21.04 With New COSMIC Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'll see where it goes. Will they either only keep the Gnome fork to have any control over extensions breaking every time, or will they actually alter the codebase.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
      Switching to KDE and contributing to it would be more profitable than forking GNOME and trying to make it better.
      I reckon that depends on a person's background. Someone who knows JS but not C++ might not agree with that assessment. Someone who likes GTK over Qt might not agree with that. Someone who likes GNOME over KDE might now agree with that.

I say that knowing that I'd also prefer what COSMIC does on top of KDE. Powerful tiling options on top of a very customizable base environment that doesn't make me feel like a 2nd class citizen because I have a mouse? Yes please. GNOME, to me, is the quintessential "fuck you mouse user" desktop environment. Just feels like everything in GNOME (and COSMIC by Proxy) is based around using a keyboard and touchpad on a 13"-17" 1080p laptop. When your environment is a 55" 4K screen without a touchpad, that's how GNOME and things based on GNOME feel.

If y'all want to complain about switching to or using KDE -- Seems like 2/3 of what Ubuntu does is taking GNOME from a laptop form factor and using plugins to make it workstation form factor...basically turning GNOME into Crappy KDE. If anyone should exnay on the NOMEgay it should be Ubuntu. Just work on KDE. Don't make Crappy KDE with GNOME and Plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

There is also a shell script plugin built in. Scripts can be placed in `~/.local/share/pop-shell/scripts/`, and there must be metadata describing the script at the top of the file, like:

Code:
        #!/bin/sh
        #
        # name: Switch to Compute Graphics
        # icon: preferences-system-symbolic
        # description: Use integrated GPU for display; discrete for CUDA / OpenCL
        # keywords: compute graphics switch nvidia
        I guess that's in the ballpark of what I meant...

I was talking about typing something like "p: var=42" which would pass "var=42" to a Python shell in a terminal window or even an embedded shell in the Launcher Bar itself.

Using that example because I use Python to do math occasionally.

Michael been a while since I've bugged you about a flagged post
        Last edited by skeevy420; 30 June 2021, 08:23 AM.

Comment

I used POP for one year and it had been my saddest Linux period...

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

there are still people liking gnome more than a windows wm copy (provocation intended). since it is the default wm on fedora, ubuntu, pop, clear linux ...etc it can not be that bad. For a second ... let us Just imagine the Distro maintainers : ...well I'm using KDE and the most of us too but just to annoy our users let us ship the distro by default with gnome ..my fellow maintainers are you in ? ..hehe ...*chanting choire* yes me lord..... *facepalm*
            If something is used a lot by something, doesn't mean it's not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If something is used a lot by something, doesn't mean it's not bad.
              true but then e.g. the KDE spins of the distribution would surge. For instance that has happend with mint during the unity / first gnome3 period on ubuntu. To a certain extend where I have thought Mint is already more present than ubuntu. I guess now it is rather calm/stable around mint.
              You are right we still have a windows monopol - that is proof enough. On the other hand Linux has a more "democratic" ecosystem.
              If you don't like std Ubuntu with gnome, go and have Kubuntu. Mint, Xubuntu, Lubuntu...* The same with Debian/Devuan or any other Distro/fork. Switching is rather easy because there is almost no vendor lock in.

*or simply install kde
              Last edited by CochainComplex; 30 June 2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                I used POP for one year and it had been my saddest Linux period...
                why?

(some additional chars to meet the at least 5 chars criteria)

Comment

If you don't like std Ubuntu with gnome, go and have Kubuntu. Mint, Xubuntu, Lubuntu...* The same with Debian/Devuan or any other Distro/fork. Switching is rather easy because there is almost no vendor lock in.
                  Kubuntu is one of the worst distros to use KDE, it's just full of bugs I never get in other distros. Use Fedora or OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.

Comment

There are some external factors that may cause problems. But Kubuntu works in a stable way in several computers that I manage, and in two Kubuntu virtual machines (one for VMware and another for VirtualBox).

Anyone can try a Kubuntu virtual machine downloading it from https://www.linuxvmimages.com/images/kubuntu-2004 , running it and seeing it for himself.

Comment

why?

(some additional chars to meet the at least 5 chars criteria)
                      Basically because I forced myself to use POP_OS on my System76 hardware, I really tried to resist for one year; the default setup was never good for me and for making an environment comfortable for my needs I had to install more than 15 extensions that never worked 100% flawlessly. Clearly never liked Gnome3 to begin with, one of the reason is because it is clunky to customized and POP doesn't improve this condition, it adds another layer of oddity above; plus POP_OS tries to hide almost everything that is happening under the hood, it has this non-sense bias against the terminal, like all these new distros that are targeting new users and are developed like a product rather than a project; but I have the habit to update the system through apt/aptitude and what I saw was ridiculous: I saw kernel upgrade one week and the week after kernel downgrade, I saw several time updates and downgrades, of course if you use the "POP Shop" you would never notice any of this.

System76 is very unfriendly with the majority of the distros but Ubuntu, as a matter of fact by default POP wipes out all your other distro just because it uses this nice systemd-boot which is of course my favorite boot system.

Anyway when I bought my S76 I did it to support the Linux companies thinking those would support the Linux principles as well, for instance the freedom of choice, but this Linux companies behave as any other computer vendors and try to drag you in their ecosystem no matter what. Eventually I learned the lesson, next time I'll buy a very compatible Linux computer/laptop with Win (but better with FreeDOS) so when you wipe out Win no one will annoying you anymore.

Are you satisfied?
                      Last edited by Danielsan; 30 June 2021, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X