No announcement yet.

Fedora Cloud 35 Looking To Use The Btrfs File-System By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be great idea if it happened now, but at this point I cannot even remember what I was doing and what the error logs looked like. It happened months ago and I'm not sure what to say to devs. It could be even because of fact that I have reset the PC several times and maybe it was already corrupted but still mounted with write enabled, I don't know. Though if I decide to give btrfs another shot, I'll definitely consult how to maintenance it properly on IRC (and hopefully I'll manage to replace the faulty Radeon). Maybe they'll advance its recovery tools and fix some bugs at that point.

But men, those blazingly quick snapshots, subvolumes and ability to shrink or extend the FS while it's mounted... Oh, I miss that 🥲

Comment

Originally posted by akvadrako View Post
      Too bad they aren't going with ZFS.
      why do you want them to use inferior fs? are you linux hater?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        why do you want them to use inferior fs? are you linux hater?
        This smells more like a troll comment, but why do you think ZFS is 'inferior'? I've been using ZoL for years with great success. I'm honestly not that familiar with BTRFS.

I do remember seeing a number of "don't use RAID 5/6 it's super broken" warning about BTRFS while the RAIDZ/Z2/Z3 implementations on ZFS are rock solid. The ZFS snapshot and send/receive features are pretty amazing, does BTRFS have anything similar? Lastly, FreeBSD having recently adopted the OpenZFS implementation (same as ZoL) is a testament to its stability.

Today I have my ZFS file server (FreeBSD, RAIDZ2) doing nightly snapshots and then a ZFS send/receive to offload the snapshots to a Linux backup server (CentOS, RAIDZ). Works really well, even between different OS's and between different ZFS versions. Can BTRFS do something similar?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          This smells more like a troll comment, but why do you think ZFS is 'inferior'? I've been using ZoL for years with great success. I'm honestly not that familiar with BTRFS.

I do remember seeing a number of "don't use RAID 5/6 it's super broken" warning about BTRFS while the RAIDZ/Z2/Z3 implementations on ZFS are rock solid. The ZFS snapshot and send/receive features are pretty amazing, does BTRFS have anything similar? Lastly, FreeBSD having recently adopted the OpenZFS implementation (same as ZoL) is a testament to its stability.

Today I have my ZFS file server (FreeBSD, RAIDZ2) doing nightly snapshots and then a ZFS send/receive to offload the snapshots to a Linux backup server (CentOS, RAIDZ). Works really well, even between different OS's and between different ZFS versions. Can BTRFS do something similar?
          Indeed, raid5/6 isn't recommended.

Send|receive works the same as in ZFS, as well as online conversion between raid profiles, shrinking and extending the filesystem while mounted.

I think the possibility to shrink and online manipulation is very useful for vm images. Another unique feature of Btrfs is a seed filesystem/device.

A bonus is defragmentation (btrfs defrag) and free space defragmentation (btrfs balance) which can be used to recompress files or optimise for write performance.
          Last edited by S.Pam; 30 May 2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X