Fedora Cloud 35 Looking To Use The Btrfs File-System By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
    It's nice to see Fedora get on the BTRFS train, personally I've been using it for over 3 years on my openSUSE Leap and Tumbleweed systems and I'm happy with it, never had any problems.
    Guess that's good because they do fix bugs

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Too bad ZFS isn't mainlined. Nobody sane will support out of tree file system.
      Ubuntu Server does.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Ubuntu Server does.
        He said “nobody sane”

Comment

Originally posted by flakmirror View Post

btrfs also came from Oracle originally, so what then?
          CDDL.

Comment

Originally posted by akvadrako View Post
            Too bad they aren't going with ZFS.
            I guess they want the flexibility to shrink and expand at will and maybe use seed devices. This isn't supported in ZFS at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

Guess that's good because they do fix bugs
              It's good, because the more distributions adopt it, the more people will be able to fix any problems, including bugs. This happens for any software!

Comment

BTRFS has once corrupted on my PC to unrecoverable state. I liked it's snapshot features, overall speed and how lightweight it was, but it hurt me pretty bad. I needed to reinstall literally everything and thankfully I keep backups for everything important separately. Built-in recovery mechanisms are still rather limited and experimental. Not sure if I'll be able to trust it again.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
                  BTRFS has once corrupted on my PC to unrecoverable state. I liked it's snapshot features, overall speed and how lightweight it was, but it hurt me pretty bad. I needed to reinstall literally everything and thankfully I keep backups for everything important separately. Built-in recovery mechanisms are still rather limited and experimental. Not sure if I'll be able to trust it again.
                  I hang out pretty much on #btrfs at irc.libera.chat and they are very helpful and assisting in data recovery.

Corruptions do happen on all filesystems. I use zfs at work and hang out on TrueNAS forums and seen people experiencing problems there too.

Usually the corruptions in btrfs happen due to bad disk firmware where write cache doesn't honor barriers. This can lead to the infamous "parent transid failed". During a powerloss or bus reset (especially on USB drives). This is because of how cow and btrees work. The internal references gets stored out of order and then btrfs can't be mounted.

The other case is human error, often in conjunction with recovery, or underlying md/lvm issues.

Each case of lost data is of course not good. My strong recommendation is to check in with https://web.libera.chat/#btrfs or the mailing list before attempting to do recovery on a failed filesystem.

Never run fsck/btrfsck unless instructed to do so by the devs in #btrfs - it can harm your ability to recover your filesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

I hang out pretty much on #btrfs at irc.libera.chat and they are very helpful and assisting in data recovery.

Corruptions do happen on all filesystems. I use zfs at work and hang out on TrueNAS forums and seen people experiencing problems there too.

Usually the corruptions in btrfs happen due to bad disk firmware where write cache doesn't honor barriers. This can lead to the infamous "parent transid failed". During a powerloss or bus reset (especially on USB drives). This is because of how cow and btrees work. The internal references gets stored out of order and then btrfs can't be mounted.

The other case is human error, often in conjunction with recovery, or underlying md/lvm issues.

Each case of lost data is of course not good. My strong recommendation is to check in with https://web.libera.chat/#btrfs or the mailing list before attempting to do recovery on a failed filesystem.

Never run fsck/btrfsck unless instructed to do so by the devs in #btrfs - it can harm your ability to recover your filesystem.
                    Thanks for elaborating on the topic! That's really interesting.
                    The thing is, it corrupted on failure that I had with my AMD GPU as it's dying and occasionally it crashes. The system itself keeps working, but the screen is either black or I see colorful mosaic created from content it displayed before. I simply pressed reset button to reboot. And you are totally right - I tried some things to bring it back as I needed something quickly from the PC and I wasn't aware that it's not like EXT4 that can fix itself even when it's badly broken and maybe I'll lost a file or two, but otherwise it can always go back to life (at least to my experience with it on PCs and servers). That's my fault as I wasn't careful with it and things were getting worse from one minute to another. Though if I look at it from another angle, I'm just end user without deep knowledge of how the FS works, or should I? I don't try to bash the project (as I said I really like features it has), but it seems to me like susceptibility to failure. It seem normal that power supply goes down suddenly for whatever reason...

Comment

You're right. Btrfs aims to be pretty much a generic filesystem and where concepts diverge from traditional filesystems there needs to be even better documentations and clear UX with its tooling.

I can't say for sure what caused the issues in your case. Maybe bring it to the mailing list or irc chat?

Comment

Working...
                      X