Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 Rockets Ahead Of Ubuntu Linux On The Core i9 11900K For Some Workloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Biggest corporation uses Windows, CEO, government itd. This system has access to their secrets, know how, strategic decision etc.

They don't know that they are vulnerable???

Tell me.
    They're either stupid or they're using it for no serious work. In other cases they're using it in their own networks cut off from the internet (army for example) - this is the only way to make it 'secure'. Windows is spyware OS and it's a fact confirmed by MS in its EULA. I once noticed WaasMedic Agent service (they claim it's responsible for fixing broken updates) was crawling through users directories. Did it get lost or was it spying?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      I don't know if the mitigations are exactly identical across platforms, but unless he can come up with a good source I think you should assume that Windows 10 has the same mitigations present that linux does. It normally does for most Intel chips, at least, and Rocket Lake isn't anything special in that regard as far as I know.
      Normally windows 10 is wiped out by Linux in benchmarks, so there's something tricky. Too bad there's only Ubuntu with unreleased kernel tested.

Comment

If PTS can reliably detect spectre mitigations on Win10 it looks like they were set similarly to Linux. Power consupmtion, temp and CPU clock figures for the tests where WIn10 pulled ahead the most would be pretty interesting to see.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
          If PTS can reliably detect spectre mitigations on Win10 it looks like they were set similarly to Linux. Power consupmtion, temp and CPU clock figures for the tests where WIn10 pulled ahead the most would be pretty interesting to see.
          All mitigations were at their default for each OS.

PTS on Windows uses mdstool for mitigation reporting.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

They're either stupid or they're using it for no serious work. In other cases they're using it in their own networks cut off from the internet (army for example) - this is the only way to make it 'secure'. Windows is spyware OS and it's a fact confirmed by MS in its EULA. I once noticed WaasMedic Agent service (they claim it's responsible for fixing broken updates) was crawling through users directories. Did it get lost or was it spying?
            WaasMedic Agent service
            Why M$ put their spyware to WaasMedic, but not to kernel, to be hidden for you??

Even third party spyware sticks to kernel to be hidden for antivirus and users.

They're either stupid or they're using it for no serious work. In other cases they're using it in their own networks cut off from the internet'.
            No, is not. I work for very big company and Windows form ordinary worker, accountant, analysts, managers to CEO has access to Internet. On their computers are tons of sensitive and strategic data.

It's not everything, we are slowly migrating to azure lol .

In other hand, On Linux sometimes are discovered bugs like CVE-2021-27135. Are you sure, that vulnerability is by mistake, but not intentional action??
            Last edited by HEL88; 15 April 2021, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Why M$ put their spyware to WaasMedic, but not to kernel, to be hidden for you??
              You just can't hide 60% of disk I/O, because you'll notice it in a moment. WaasMedic runs from time to time and I always have to close it, because it makes system unusable. Typical user checks what is slowing his system down and notices: oh, it's just WaasMedic fixing updates.

Even third party spyware sticks to kernel to be hidden for antivirus and users.
              According to some sites there's a lot more that needs to be disabled in windows. Since there's no source code we can't be sure what kernel does.

No, is not. I work for very big company and Windows form ordinary worker, accountant, analysts, managers to CEO has access to Internet. On their computers are tons of sensitive and strategic data.
              Firewalls are probably enough, maybe they're not such stupid. However, I'm sure military (maybe not everywhere) doesn't allow it to connect from their lower level military networks (there are rings, some are allowed, but they do not intersect with each other).

It's not everything, we are slowly migrating to azure lol .

In other hand, On Linux sometimes are discovered bugs like CVE-2021-27135. Are you sure, that vulnerability is by mistake, but not intentional action??
              In this case it's probably a 'feature' like dozens of other X (and Company) security problems. That's why Linux is migrating to Wayland. Also, X could be a reason why Windows was preferred in some cases when comes to security. We can never be sure if it was by a mistake or intentional. Thanks to source code everyone interested can audit.
              Last edited by Volta; 15 April 2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

You just can't hide 60% of disk I/O, because you'll notice it in a moment. WaasMedic runs from time to time and I always have to close it, because it makes system unusable. Typical user checks what is slowing his system down and notices: oh, it's just WaasMedic fixing updates.
                I use Windows all the time and I did't noticed neither this process nor any slowing system down - sorry.

Why M$ not named this prosess eg. 'NTFS integrity checker'?

According to some sites there's a lot more that needs to be disabled in windows. Since there's no source code we can't be sure what kernel does.
                Many top programs have closed source like SAP, Oracle DB, Altuim Designer, Aix, DB2, Photoshop, AutoCAD etc. Many drivers. And even spy program may be in CPU.

In this case it's probably a 'feature'
                But you cannot be 100% sure that at the moment there is no deliberate bug somewhere in Linux or the ecosystem that will allow remote access.

Comment

Normally windows 10 is wiped out by Linux in benchmarks, so there's something tricky. Too bad there's only Ubuntu with unreleased kernel tested.
                  I'm not sure what you mean by tricky, exactly. It's certainly possible windows is using a newer firmware or has some power management tweaked for Rocket Lake that linux is missing. That seems like pretty much what phoronix is trying to test for though, so it's good to know. Assuming that windows must have disabled security just because it's unpopular is really reaching though.

Comment

Originally posted by Markopolo View Post
                    Do you have a link where I could read up on the lack of mitigations for rocket lake + Windows 10?
                    I got a 11400F and Windows reports it accordingly.

Comment

I use Windows all the time and I did't noticed neither this process nor any slowing system down - sorry.

Why M$ not named this prosess eg. 'NTFS integrity checker'?
                      It starts usually after boot, but not every time. I'm not from M$, so I don't know. If it connects (didn't check) then it would be suspicious seeing NTFS integrity checker going online.

Many top programs have closed source like SAP, Oracle DB, Altuim Designer, Aix, DB2, Photoshop, AutoCAD etc. Many drivers. And even spy program may be in CPU.
                      Yes! However, OS can isolate them sometimes - flatpak for example.

But you cannot be 100% sure that at the moment there is no deliberate bug somewhere in Linux or the ecosystem that will allow remote access.
                      It doesn't matter. The same applies to any other OS, but chances that Linux is polluted by some intentional spyware are much lower than for example windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X