Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Shader compile stutter in the middle of a game

It's very obvious when that happens and sometimes the framerate tanks when that's going on. Valve didn't bother with ACO without reason.
    That happens when you use DXVK or similar layers because the shader compile step is at a different order then natural for vulkan, so it stalls the rendering pipeline for a moment.
    ACO is faster then LLVM, but you will still experience this issue. The real magic happens when steam pre downloads prepared shaders and compiles them before you start the game, making the issue basically solved.

He is right that you do not see it, for any normal Vulkan or OpenGL application because there it does not stall the pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

You can compile stuff in the toolbox on normal fedora too. I do that all the time.
      Of course. I was simply saying that you don't really need a compiler as the base installation. DKMS is not required in normal circumstances and if you need it for one reason or another, then installing it can pull in gcc as a dependency.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

GCC alone is used to compile DKMS modules. But I guess "normal users" like you don't use DKMS modules because you work from a very locked down computer terminal, right?
        No, I never use DKMS directly myself, and I don't think my current system do. I think my old system with a Nvidia graphics card and VirtualBox used DKMS, but my current system using Intel integrated graphics I think does not use DKMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

That happens when you use DXVK or similar layers because the shader compile step is at a different order then natural for vulkan, so it stalls the rendering pipeline for a moment.
          ACO is faster then LLVM, but you will still experience this issue. The real magic happens when steam pre downloads prepared shaders and compiles them before you start the game, making the issue basically solved.

He is right that you do not see it, for any normal Vulkan or OpenGL application because there it does not stall the pipeline.
          I also refer to that one as the magic use an assload of bandwidth switch. Shitty ISP People Problems. But I've been playing Windows games through Wine/DXVK outside of Steam lately so it's something I still notice on a regular basis. Anyone dipping their toes outside of the Steam Linux Ecosystem or going full power-user and compiling their own stack will experience that so the issue is only basically solved for basic people.

For the average person, though, I totally agree with both of y'all. It's not like they go out of their way to do the fun stuff we do.

The og bullshit should have been followed by or to show the playful nature of the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

No, I never use DKMS directly myself, and I don't think my current system do. I think my old system with a Nvidia graphics card and VirtualBox used DKMS, but my current system using Intel integrated graphics I think does not use DKMS.
            My system with Intel does use DKMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

My system with Intel does use DKMS.
              I am curious to know, for what?

Comment

Working...
              X