Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 35 Looking To Make Use Of Debuginfod By Default

Phoronix: Fedora 35 Looking To Make Use Of Debuginfod By Default

Red Hat engineers spearheaded the work on Debuginfod for being able to fetch debuginfo/sources from centralized servers for a project to cut-down on manually having to install the relevant debug packages manually on a system as well as that occupying extra disk space and just being a hassle. The Fedora project is now getting their Debuginfod server off the ground and for Fedora Linux 35 are planning to make use of it by default...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ginfod-Default

openSUSE Tumbleweed has debug info enabled since very recently as well.

Comment

I don't know why GCC and LLVM are installed by default. As a normal user, I've never needed to use any of these. I just use packages from the package manager, I don't compile stuff myself.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I don't know why GCC and LLVM are installed by default. As a normal user, I've never needed to use any of these. I just use packages from the package manager, I don't compile stuff myself.
        - GCC is often needed to compile DKMS kernel modules when you update (you don't see it, it happens automatically during apt upgrade)
        - LLVM is used by graphics drivers to compile shaders (you don't see it either, it happens automatically when you launch any 3D app)

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

- GCC is often needed to compile DKMS kernel modules when you update (you don't see it, it happens automatically during apt upgrade)
          - LLVM is used by graphics drivers to compile shaders (you don't see it either, it happens automatically when you launch any 3D app)
          Bullshit. I can very clearly see FPS becoming SPF.

And DKMS rebuild is part of the pacman output so I see that too. I figure if you're talking about apt in a Fedora thread

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            GCC alone is used to compile DKMS modules. But I guess "normal users" like you don't use DKMS modules because you work from a very locked down computer terminal, right?
            Last edited by Vistaus; 08 April 2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

GCC alone is used to compile DKMS modules. But I guess "normal users" like you don't use DKMS modules because you work from a very locked down computer terminal, right?
              To be fair, if you use hardware that's officially supported by your distro then you don't need DKMS. Personally I'm a big fan of the Silverblue approach and compilers should be kept in toolboxes, not on the base system.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Bullshit. I can very clearly see FPS becoming SPF.
                If you have no clue about a topic and you clearly don't, just don't say anything unless you want to continue to embarrass yourself

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

If you have no clue about a topic and you clearly don't, just don't say anything unless you want to continue to embarrass yourself
                  Shader compile stutter in the middle of a game

It's very obvious when that happens and sometimes the framerate tanks when that's going on. Valve didn't bother with ACO without reason.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

To be fair, if you use hardware that's officially supported by your distro then you don't need DKMS. Personally I'm a big fan of the Silverblue approach and compilers should be kept in toolboxes, not on the base system.
                    You can compile stuff in the toolbox on normal fedora too. I do that all the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X