Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.04 Beta Released For This Linux 5.11 Powered Update With Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    To be honest, I don't even care about desktop environments. I like Kde's philosophy, but that's it.
    I care about the desktop as a concept though.

X should have been replaced long ago, but that didn't happen.
    It's happening now, we all know, but not as fast as you say.

As a geek I like delving into the technical side of things, but it should be transparent to the user.
    That's why I'm not debating the aspects of why Wayland is better designed than X.
    They're implementation details and they don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
      X should have been replaced long ago, but that didn't happen.
      It's happening now, we all know, but not as fast as you say.
      The change has not exactly been fast either the reality is we are many years in. RHEL 8 being wayland default in 2019 got over looked we basically 2 years latter now. This means we are now in force will be applied stage.

Reality this is the same problem as Windows Vista were Microsoft just had to go stuff if we are going this way GPU vendors we don't care if you provide support or not.

Key points is that Redhat/IBM will not be maintaining X11 x.org on bare metal. They will go the removal route some time soon.

The speed of change to wayland has not been fast. But the force behind the change is increasing. Particularly that the next X11 bare metal server release is never coming at this stage. So in a year a distribution packaging bare metal X11 x.org will either have to custom patch or be having something with issues that will not get better.

No upstream maintainer at x.org X11 for bare metal means all fixing work is now pushed down to distribution maintainers. Redhat not going to be providing that person neither is Canonical, neither is Suse. So basically the 3 major commerical distributions have washed hands. Now its the community distributions even Debian is questioning how long that will have x.org X11 bare metal as they don't have the resources to keep on maintaining it.

The speed of the change over progressing from now on is going to increase. You had the not researched idea that Redhat and Canonical ... the commercial distributions would keep X11 bare metal patched when the reality they have all said they are not going to. On desktop the commercial distributions currently only officially support Wayland Gnome/KDE or something else wayland they don't officially support X11 bare metal with a X11 WM/DE. So the clock is ticking to X11 on bare metal removal and has been ticking for 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        I bet you were thinking that the Average user was a reason not to kill of X11 bare metal because losing different windows managers would make them leave.
        X11/Xorg Started to moving away from bare metal in the early 2000's. Mode-setting and buffer management moved into the kernel, hardware support an input was moved into independent libraries. But even so Legacy support was a huge burden, there remained intractable security issues, particularly around input and the need for the X server to have a wide array of privileges.

Wayland if nothing else is a huge step forward because you can have a sensible security model, better input direction, and the fact the interface is versioned, means you can fade out legacy support in a way that you can warn customers about succinctly.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
          X11/Xorg Started to moving away from bare metal in the early 2000's. Mode-setting and buffer management moved into the kernel, hardware support an input was moved into independent libraries. But even so Legacy support was a huge burden, there remained intractable security issues, particularly around input and the need for the X server to have a wide array of privileges.
          That true and also true is from 2000 on Nvidia has wanted to do there own thing and keep on using the Legacy interfaces on X.org X11 server. So there has been a long term problem here.

Comment

Working...
          X