Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.04 Beta Released For This Linux 5.11 Powered Update With Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Mate is getting really close to being Mir based Wayland support.
    It will be interesting to see how it fares as a wayland compositor. It will also definitely be useful for UBPorts, and XFCE or Budgie could join in the efforts and pool their resources.
    They would all have a better say and control in the capabilities of the compositor than if they go down the Mutter path.
    They shouldn't make it available as a snap only though for this pooling to work.
    Last edited by Mez'; 02 April 2021, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Ah, I see you're tired of trolling TechPowerUp.
      He's still trolling: 'only Gnome 4' while it works out of the box in Gnome 3. I always wandered what type of troll is he. I bet he's a cave troll, because he's always uninformed.

Comment

Going to test it out this weekend in a VM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

It's default only for Gnome and with compatible drivers.
          It makes sense to release it now a whole year before the next LTS, because I expect lots of issues once more casual users start to run Wayland and expect everything to just work
          No shit, sir!

Only what's the point of pushing Wayland by default when it's so inadequately represented and supported. And then users will start asking, "Why am I not running Wayland, you promised Wayland for everyone!"

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

No shit, sir!

Only what's the point of pushing Wayland by default when it's so inadequately represented and supported. And then users will start asking, "Why am I not running Wayland, you promised Wayland for everyone!"
            It's not that bad...

For the most part Wayland is usable now.

Comment

No shit, sir!

I don't expect casual users to care one way or the other. All they'll care about is why doesn't my favorite program work. They don't care about Xorg and Wayland, mp3 or opus, alac or flac, GPL or BSD, ZFS or BTRFS, or any of the other many, many topics we all go on and on about.

About the most they'll care about is the desktop environment....maybe....but they won't care about the backends that power the desktop environment when they do. And they probably won't refer to it as GNOME, KDE, or a desktop environment, it's just their system and the likely don't realize there are other choices because someone else did the install for them. They're just going with the flow and we're lucky if they find the right forums or documentation if/when they have an issue.

That's casual users.

Comment

No shit, sir!

The reality this is you being wrong. Ubuntu 21.04 Beta release from Ubuntu officially only has one desktop being Gnome. Officially NVIDIA binary blob drivers/cards are not supported. So like it or not Canonical has kept their promise to everyone who obeys the recommend hardware list and is using the Canonical made distributions not the forks.

The reality is Canonical has not promised Wayland to everyone neither is Redhat. Now if Gnome wayland does not work with Nvidia go get up Nvidia ribs.

We are in the deployment stage of Wayland like it or not. Deployment stages does not equal nice for everyone. Its not required to be nice to everyone.

Comment

This can't be possibly true, only Gnome 4 and KDE 5 out of them support Wayland.
                  What "can't possibly be true"? That the beta for Ubuntu 21.04, which defaults to Wayland, is released alongside the betas for the rest of the *ubuntu distro family? Reading comprehension much?

Also, what's Gnome 4? There's Gnome 40, there's GTK 4, and there's also the fact that Wayland is already supported by Gnome 3. Prithee, my dear sir, but whatever dost thou meaneth?

No shit, sir!

People use the default Ubuntu for the most part, and whoever uses something else is required to know what they're doing more than your average Ubuntu user. Also, the point is that Wayland is almost ready for most common use cases, and also that most default Ubuntu users use the LTS versions, so it makes sense that Wayland is exposed to the public now so the devs can have the remaining bugs fixed and missing critical functionality (judged by user telemetry) implemented by this time next year. It's how open source software usually works, you know?
                  Last edited by Nocifer; 02 April 2021, 10:34 AM.

Comment

No shit, sir!

No shit indeed, sir!

The point is beyond my technical knowledge on the matter, but if Wayland solves most of the issues with Xorg maybe it is worth pushing it.
                    At least this is what many of the people doing the work seem to think.

However, I think that replacing a core component of a system (any system) with a new design that breaks so much stuff in the ecosystem is abysmal design.
                    That said, Ubuntu shipping it is even more important precisely because Wayland is still so inadequately represented and supported.

Up until now the only people using Wayland were tech savvy or enthusiast users. Whereas tomorrow it will be people who don't know or care about which piece of software draws the windows, but will be very vocal when Nvidia is not supported or something slighgtly edge stops working because some opinionated developer thought that nobody uses that particular thing.

Speaking of Nvidia I don't know what kind of black magic has to be done to make it work properly and by whom, and I couldn't care less.
                    To be clear, I don't care if every last Red Hat and Canonical developer has to bow down to their Nvidia master or if it's the other way around.
                    If Torvalds himself has to put his middle finger up his nose or if Jensen has to go back in the kitchen and stay there, or whatever.

The only thing I care about is Nvidia working fine. Possibly with optimus support, because on most laptops the dedicated gpu is Nvidia.
                    Otherwise Linux is definitely going to lose some of the already few users it has.

Speaking of other desktops, I hope support will come. In the meantime Xorg is not being developed, but it's not dead either.
                    First, it's the default display server for Ubuntu 20.04 and for RHEL 7 so if something critical appears in the wild it should be addressed.
                    Second, it won't stop working the day after it reaches its EOL.

In the end I think there is plenty of time not only to migrate to Wayland, but also for new and better implementations to come out

Comment

This can't be possibly true, only Gnome 4 and KDE 5 out of them support Wayland.
                      Lubuntu supports Wayland too as they have been working on it for a few years now: https://news.softpedia.com/news/afte...0-522370.shtml
                      Last edited by Vistaus; 02 April 2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X