No announcement yet.

Fedora 34 Beta Released With PipeWire In Action, GNOME 40 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case anyone upgrades and experiences crashes on the lock screen: that has been already fixed by a gjs upgrade.

Other than that the system is decent, just Gnome shell crashes every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      I need about 20 extensions to make Gnome decent, so I'll have to wait for them to be updated.
      Also, there is now a blatant need to bypass the overview at session startup and start on the desktop. Without any activity going on, it's rather dumb to go straight to the overview.

And, in any case, if you don't want your GTK theme to look like it's out of 2008, the user theme extension is a must have as the minimum minimorum. It's great that they updated adwaita from a 2005 look to a 2008 look though. Maybe by Gnome 50 (or 500, you never know), they'll have a theme feeling like the 20's and looking less amateurish in general.
      Why don't you use different DE?

Comment

I need about 20 extensions to make Gnome decent, so I'll have to wait for them to be updated.
        Funny how that works. I have extensions disabled and its all fine. Gnome 40 might be different but extensions only made me dislike Gnome previously.

Extensions equal more bugs, more problems. Better to find something you like without them.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
          It still doesn't boot on a secure boot device, even when Ubuntu and opensuse do
          You mean the beta doesn't boot on a secure boot system or that stable Fedora releases don't work with secure boot enabled on your system(s)? Fedora definitely supports secure boot. I have it enabled on my Latitude laptops and Fedora installs/boots just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Why don't you use different DE?
            Trust me, I'm working on it. I've been using Budgie half the time lately (Gnome the other half). And I'm eyeing on Lomiri, which now has a PoC on the desktop. But this is not the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
              It may be more complete to say that DNF keeps a separate cache for each user. So people do 'sudo dnf install foo' and then are shocked when they later do a 'dnf search bar' and it rebuilds the cache (often for a second time if the cache was old and was refreshed during the previous package installation). It isn't obvious that the system (root) cache is separate from regular users and I'm sure it's frustrating to people. It's worth aliasing the -C in for operations like search, but it would be nice if this experience was better out of the box.
              On Fedora 34, dnf only refreshes the cache before installation or update while 'dnf search bar' uses cache by default. see this example
              Code:
              $ dnf search inkscape
              Last metadata expiration check: 3 days, 16:37:19 ago on Fri 19 Mar 2021 09:31:54 PM.
              ======================== Name Exactly Matched: inkscape ========================
              inkscape.x86_64 : Vector-based drawing program using SVG
              ======================= Name & Summary Matched: inkscape =======================
              elementary-icon-theme-inkscape-palette.noarch : Icons from the Elementary
              : Project (inkscape palette)
              inkscape-docs.x86_64 : Documentation for Inkscape
              inkscape-psd.noarch : Inkscape PSD Importer
              python3-sphinxcontrib-inkscapeconverter.noarch : Sphinx SVG to PDF Converter
              : Extension - Inkscape converter
              texlive-svg-inkscape-doc.noarch : Documentation for svg-inkscape
              ============================ Name Matched: inkscape ============================
              inkscape-view.x86_64 : Viewing program for SVG files
              ========================== Summary Matched: inkscape ===========================
              inksmoto.noarch : The new xmoto level editor for Inkscape
              texlive-svg.noarch : Include and extract SVG pictures using Inkscape
              [luya@kwetu-telus3226 ~]$ time dnf search inkscape
              Last metadata expiration check: 3 days, 16:37:46 ago on Fri 19 Mar 2021 09:28:16 PM.
              ======================== Name Exactly Matched: inkscape ========================
              ======================= Name & Summary Matched: inkscape =======================
              ============================ Name Matched: inkscape ============================
              ========================== Summary Matched: inkscape ===========================

real 0m1.138s
              user 0m0.806s
              sys 0m0.323s
              As pointed out, it is the configuration. Regular users care less and only want the tools do their job.

Comment

And by extension to Manjaro. I have at least Disks, System Monitor and Calculator updated to v40. But I'm paying serious attention at every update so that can I hold the shell itself from upgrading, of course.
                Also, there is now a blatant need to bypass the overview at session startup and start on the desktop. Without any activity going on, it's rather dumb to go straight to the overview.

And, in any case, if you don't want your GTK theme to look like it's out of 2008, the user theme extension is a must have as the minimum minimorum. It's great that they updated adwaita from a 2005 look to a 2008 look though. Maybe by Gnome 50 (or 500, you never know), they'll have a theme feeling like the 20's and looking less amateurish in general.
                By extent and frequency that you talk about griefs with Gnome, I'd recommend a psychologist. Its not a healthy relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

It's amazing how suddenly many Linux users are pro audio experts. How did they manage without pipewire?
                  JACK, though it's somewhat cumbersome to set up. I moved to Pipewire, and it's more reliable than pulseaudio, with less headache than JACK. I don't use it professionally, though.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

On Fedora 34, dnf only refreshes the cache before installation or update while 'dnf search bar' uses cache by default. see this example
                    Code:
                    $ dnf search inkscape
                    Last metadata expiration check: 3 days, 16:37:19 ago on Fri 19 Mar 2021 09:31:54 PM.
                    [luya@kwetu-telus3226 ~]$ time dnf search inkscape
                    Last metadata expiration check: 3 days, 16:37:46 ago on Fri 19 Mar 2021 09:28:16 PM.

real 0m1.138s
                    user 0m0.806s
                    sys 0m0.323s
                    As pointed out, it is the configuration. Regular users care less and only want the tools do their job.
                    It's still using the per user cache, not the system cache for search. I think it was just content with how up to date yours was. This is from a fresh install in a VM. You'll notice it builds the cache for my user for search even though the system (root) cache was just created.

Code:
                    [foo@fedora ~]$ sudo dnf install ranger

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
                    Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
                    #2) Think before you type.
                    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for foo:
                    Fedora 34 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64 3.8 kB/s | 2.5 kB 00:00
                    Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64 3.6 MB/s | 4.9 MB 00:01
                    Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64 - Updates 258 B/s | 257 B 00:00
                    Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64 - Test Updates 730 kB/s | 1.3 MB 00:01
                    Fedora 34 - x86_64 - Test Updates 7.0 MB/s | 15 MB 00:02
                    Fedora 34 - x86_64 - Updates 144 B/s | 257 B 00:01
                    Fedora 34 - x86_64 10 MB/s | 70 MB 00:06
                    Dependencies resolved.
                    ================================================== ==============================
                    Package Architecture Version Repository Size
                    ================================================== ==============================
                    Installing:
                    ranger noarch 1.9.3-4.fc34 fedora 399 k

Transaction Summary
                    Install 1 Package

Total download size: 399 k
                    Installed size: 1.5 M
                    Is this ok [y/N]: y
                    Downloading Packages:
                    ranger-1.9.3-4.fc34.noarch.rpm 905 kB/s | 399 kB 00:00
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Total 622 kB/s | 399 kB 00:00
                    Running transaction check
                    Transaction check succeeded.
                    Running transaction test
                    Transaction test succeeded.
                    Running transaction
                    Preparing : 1/1
                    Installing : ranger-1.9.3-4.fc34.noarch 1/1
                    Running scriptlet: ranger-1.9.3-4.fc34.noarch 1/1
                    Verifying : ranger-1.9.3-4.fc34.noarch 1/1

Installed:
                    ranger-1.9.3-4.fc34.noarch

Complete!
                    [foo@fedora ~]$ dnf search bpytop
                    Fedora 34 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64 4.3 kB/s | 2.5 kB 00:00
                    Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64 2.7 MB/s | 4.9 MB 00:01
                    Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64 - Updates 249 B/s | 257 B 00:01
                    Fedora Modular 34 - x86_64 - Test Updates 716 kB/s | 1.3 MB 00:01
                    Fedora 34 - x86_64 - Test Updates 4.4 MB/s | 15 MB 00:03
                    Fedora 34 - x86_64 - Updates 482 B/s | 257 B 00:00
                    Fedora 34 - x86_64 8.3 MB/s | 70 MB 00:08
                    ========================= Name Exactly Matched: bpytop =========================
                    bpytop.noarch : Linux/OSX/FreeBSD resource monitor
                    Another reason people think DNF is slow is just that it is doing more stuff than people realize that are separate commands/utilities for other package managers. E.g. the metadata to download is larger but that's partly because it's including the data for stuff like 'dnf provides' where on other systems you'd need to use 'apt-file' or 'pacman -F' etc. DNF has some really nice attributes though, 'dnf history' is dope.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      The UI is different but no need for extensions.
                      I just wish they would stop ignoring the systray icons situation. It's probably the only extension most people need, yet since the days of the tray on a bottom-left drawer getting removed, gnome team has been just covering their ears and showting "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" when the issue comes to the table.

Comment

Working...
                      X