Fedora 34 Beta Released With PipeWire In Action, GNOME 40 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treba View Post
    I really hope pipewire proves to be reliant enough to make it into the final release. Finally having pro-audio use cases covered out of the box is a huge milestone. Looking forward to update my system in a couple of days!
    +1

I look forward to a sane audio solution that makes Linux an alternative to macs (for people without it degree) where the only remaining piece missing is a sane integration of AVB/TSN networking.
    Of course for highest levels, preempt_rt would also be awesome.
    Last edited by mppix; 23 March 2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

VM installs can be deceiving. Worked fine in a VM, after upgrading it in the flesh... bugs. bugs everywhere. I'll single-handedly bring down Bugzilla due to server overload.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
        Fedora is just awesome, I just wish DNF were faster...
        DNF is fast. The default configuration checks the change in the cache from the closest mirror server. Add "-C" parameter to only use cache i.e. "dnf -C list" as an example.

Comment

To be honest, it looks to me that Cuba is about center in that globe rendition. Which makes sense, because all you open sourcers are a bunch of pinko commies!!

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

DNF is fast. The default configuration checks the change in the cache from the closest mirror server. Add "-C" parameter to only use cache i.e. "dnf -C list" as an example.
            It may be more complete to say that DNF keeps a separate cache for each user. So people do 'sudo dnf install foo' and then are shocked when they later do a 'dnf search bar' and it rebuilds the cache (often for a second time if the cache was old and was refreshed during the previous package installation). It isn't obvious that the system (root) cache is separate from regular users and I'm sure it's frustrating to people. It's worth aliasing the -C in for operations like search, but it would be nice if this experience was better out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              .... but no need for extensions.
              Given that a number of extensions have not yet been ported to Gnome 40, that is likely a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                I really hope pipewire proves to be reliant enough to make it into the final release. Finally having pro-audio use cases covered out of the box is a huge milestone. Looking forward to update my system in a couple of days!
                It's amazing how suddenly many Linux users are pro audio experts. How did they manage without pipewire?

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Given that a number of extensions have not yet been ported to Gnome 40, that is likely a good thing.
                  Yeah I saw Gnome 40 components are hitting Arch repos today. I'll be cherry picking security updates and avoiding a full system update for the next 6-8 weeks until the extension situation catches up.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

Yeah I saw Gnome 40 components are hitting Arch repos today. I'll be cherry picking security updates and avoiding a full system update for the next 6-8 weeks until the extension situation catches up.
                    And by extension to Manjaro. I have at least Disks, System Monitor and Calculator updated to v40. But I'm paying serious attention at every update so that can I hold the shell itself from upgrading, of course.
                    I need about 20 extensions to make Gnome decent, so I'll have to wait for them to be updated.
                    Also, there is now a blatant need to bypass the overview at session startup and start on the desktop. Without any activity going on, it's rather dumb to go straight to the overview.

And, in any case, if you don't want your GTK theme to look like it's out of 2008, the user theme extension is a must have as the minimum minimorum. It's great that they updated adwaita from a 2005 look to a 2008 look though. Maybe by Gnome 50 (or 500, you never know), they'll have a theme feeling like the 20's and looking less amateurish in general.

Comment

It still doesn't boot on a secure boot device, even when Ubuntu and opensuse do

Comment

Working...
                      X