Mageia 8 RC1 Brings AMDGPU For GCN 1.0/1.1, NVIDIA GLVND, Linux 5.10 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 8 RC1 Brings AMDGPU For GCN 1.0/1.1, NVIDIA GLVND, Linux 5.10 LTS

Phoronix: Mageia 8 RC1 Brings AMDGPU For GCN 1.0/1.1, NVIDIA GLVND, Linux 5.10 LTS

In addition to OpenMandriva Lx 4.2 nearing release, Mageia that shares a similar Mandrake/Mandriva lineage is nearing its next major release in the form of Mageia 8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

bridgman Any ETA until we get AMDGPU for GCN 1.0/1.1 as default?
    Last edited by Laughing1; 07 February 2021, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Very happy user of Mageia. Recently updated from Mageia 7.1 to 8 beta2.
      It still feels very much like Mandrake/Mandriva. The installer is very nice and the drakconf tools for system configuration are unmatched by any other distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Polleke View Post
        Very happy user of Mageia. Recently updated from Mageia 7.1 to 8 beta2.
        It still feels very much like Mandrake/Mandriva. The installer is very nice and the drakconf tools for system configuration are unmatched by any other distro.
        Really? Mandrake was the first linux distro I tried and I liked it a lot. Maybe I will make some space on my hard drive (using GParted) and give it a whirl for old times sake and sh**s and giggles.
        GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
          Really? Mandrake was the first linux distro I tried and I liked it a lot. Maybe I will make some space on my hard drive (using GParted) and give it a whirl for old times sake and sh**s and giggles.
          For me it was the second, after SuSE 6.3. I started with Mandrake in 2000 I think. After the switch to Mageia it felt a bit like the end for me. I switched to Fedora, around 14 and 15, but didn't like it much. Then switched to Debian unstable, right around the switch to systemd, which was a mess in my experience ( the resulting stable release was probably fine). I did come back to Mageia around mga 5 and I hope I will be able to keep on using it.

And old times sake, maybe. The software stack is all new. And personally I don't feel the installer or Drakconf need to change much.

Comment

Originally posted by Polleke View Post
            For me it was the second, after SuSE 6.3. I started with Mandrake in 2000 I think. After the switch to Mageia it felt a bit like the end for me. I switched to Fedora, around 14 and 15, but didn't like it much. Then switched to Debian unstable, right around the switch to systemd, which was a mess in my experience ( the resulting stable release was probably fine). I did come back to Mageia around mga 5 and I hope I will be able to keep on using it.

And old times sake, maybe. The software stack is all new. And personally I don't feel the installer or Drakconf need to change much.
            Thanks for the insight.
            GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Great show for the Mageia blokes, I've been running Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia since the hot mess that was Redhat 7.0 (no not the recent one, the Redhat 7.0 that came out in late 2000 that had a kernel bug that would cause a hard kernel hang after 38 days).

A nice thing about Mageia is that they deliver and support a bunch of desktops although the last time I tried Wayland for Plasma wasn't working but it does work on Mageia 7.1.

Things that ARE working well are Plasma, Steam, Gnome, all of the development packages I play with.

Things I know that aren't working: Plasma for Wayland, Google-Earth-Pro, MythTV Mythweb (due to PHP 8.0). The MythTV boffins say that they're deprecating Mythweb so it's unlikely that will get fixed. The Mageia blokes are running 5.10.12 on 7.1 so they're not afraid to keep their mainstream distro up to date.

Great job Mageia.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
                bridgman Any ETA until we get AMDGPU for GCN 1.0/1.1 as default?
                Hmm... now that we have ported the UVD code across I guess it's just analog VGA support missing ? That would still be pretty drastic for anyone using a VGA connection to their display.

My first thought is that it still probably needs to be an opt-in change rather than something that just gets forced out to users, at least unless/until someone ports the VGA code across to amdgpu. I don't *think* there are any technical challenges with that, ie it should be easier than porting the UVD code was.
                Test signature

Comment

I used to run Mandrake/Mandriva for a lot of time and had to move to Linux Mint, when Mandriva went dark. Somehow, Mageia never worked well for me. Will give it another try for nostalgia purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Hmm... now that we have ported the UVD code across I guess it's just analog VGA support missing ? That would still be pretty drastic for anyone using a VGA connection to their display.

My first thought is that it still probably needs to be an opt-in change rather than something that just gets forced out to users, at least unless/until someone ports the VGA code across to amdgpu. I don't *think* there are any technical challenges with that, ie it should be easier than porting the UVD code was.

well, it's a "calculated risk" to try and provide newer features by default for users not relying on legacy vga.

and we have kept the fallback available, so they can boot with:
                    radeon.si_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=0
                    or
                    radeon.cik_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=0

to get back to radeon/ati setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X