Ubuntu 21.04 Will Finally Stop Making New Home Directories World-Readable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Oh, so that any application can spoof the login prompt to steal user credentials is a privacy issue, not a security issue. Either way, whatever you call it, Linux has this issue and Windows does not.
    You are referring to X11/Xorg security issues, which is more or less obsolete. Most distributions are on Wayland by now or are not running a graphical interface in the first place.

Just to be sure we remain grounded in reality: how is the Win malware situation? do you still need virus scanners? Talking about security...
    Last edited by mppix; 13 January 2021, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

You are referring to X11/Xorg security issues, which is obsolete. Most distributions are on Wayland by now or are not running a graphical interface in the first place.
      I was talking about desktop distributions not server distributions, and when it comes to desktop distribution everyone is using Ubuntu.

Comment

I was talking about desktop distributions not server distributions, and when it comes to desktop distribution everyone is using Ubuntu.
        I certainly don't and if you make a poll here, you would soon realize that your "everybody" is not worth much.

Comment

So basically the feature theoretically exists in the kernel, but no distribution has ever used it, and no system in production ever had it enabled.
          That is not true its it found enabled in select high security Linux distributions. Horrible distributions that the SAK is being used on text based interfaces. There was a reason why Is said it made no sense to implement it with X11 particular. Console based high security distributions have used SAK in the Linux kernel a lot.

Comment

The change to 755 must have been on some "newer" version of Ubuntu, all the /home/ folders on my home machine are 0750 and they where created on a 8.04 I think (too many years ago to remember).

Comment

Shocking news everyone!
              I'm surprised they never warned their user at or after installation with a warning dialog, just for politeness sake.

Comment

Do I remember it right that MacOS used to have a folder called "share" in every /home directory for this purpose?
                I'm surprised there isn't something similar standardised among the various desktop environments.. hope to be wrong though.
                I guess easy to create an ad-hoc folder.. but I would still expect KDE or Gnome (or the major desktop oriented distros, if it's up to them) to offer it by default.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                  Do I remember it right that MacOS used to have a folder called "share" in every /home directory for this purpose?
                  I'm surprised there isn't something similar standardised among the various desktop environments.. hope to be wrong though.
                  Already done by default as "Public" folder under xdg-user-dirs and supported by default on various desktop environments including GNOME and KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

I certainly don't and if you make a poll here, you would soon realize that your "everybody" is not worth much.

That’s because your sample would be limited to ‘people who are so into Linux that they not only read Linux news, but they also browse and comment in the forums’.

If anything, take it as a compliment that you aren’t one of those people who think that the monitor is a computer, or one of those people that don’t know that the Windows button at the bottom left is called “the start menu”.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

Forgive me for being blunt, but somehow the word bullshit seems small in this case:

Fedora 33:
                      $ ls -lh /home/ | grep $USER
                      drwx------. 163 gilboagilboa 12K Jan 13 14:56 gilboa

CentOS8:
                      drwx------. 21 gilboagilboa 4.0K Oct 11 11:57 gilboa

CentOS7:
                      drwx------. 20 gilboa gilboa 4.0K Aug 9 10:58 gilboa

CentOS6:
                      drwx------. 30 gilboa gilboa 4.0K Jul 5 2020 gilboa

CentOS5:
                      drwx------. 31 gilboa gilboa 4.0K Apr 12 2017 gilboa

I don't have access to CentOS4 machine, but I assume we get the general idea.

- Gilboa
                      Try again after creating a new user. The users you have listed were created during the installation process.

Comment

Working...
                      X