Ubuntu 21.04 Will Finally Stop Making New Home Directories World-Readable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nist View Post

Try again after creating a new user. The users you have listed were created during the installation process.
    No they are certainly *not*.
    I *never* create user(s) using the Anaconda installer.

- Gilboa
    Last edited by gilboa; 17 January 2021, 07:23 AM.
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Desktop Linux has like a 1% market share, and probably like 97% of that 1% is Ubuntu.
      Steam survey

This tells you its roughly 1/4 Ubuntu. That is for gamers.

It really hard to get stats on Linux users like the system I am using that debian would not show up on steam because I don't have steam installed. Its not that I don't play games but I have enough open source games to keep my busy when I need to game.

uid313 like it not the stats that exist say you cannot claim that ubuntu is 97% of the Linux market share. You could say that Ubuntu is most likely the dominate install but its likely less than 40% of all Linux users out there. Linux world is a lot more fragmented.

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
      If Ubuntu shows up in half of those searches, then it is at LEAST 50% of the entire Linux market share.
      That is a bad presume. I am a debian user I have a problem I cannot find any decent documentation for the problem using debian in the search on google guess what I do. I will put in google search the problem I am looking for with the word Ubuntu at times. Same with doing redhat or arch. Lot areas of Linux that are general distributions it does not matter what distribution you are using they are the same because the distributions have not changed much when they packaged up that part. So its just finding useful documentation that you can understand. Yes I have used a lot of gentoo and arch documentation to fix issues I am having with debian over the years as well.

The more well known a distribution is the more likely a Linux user will use it in search to find documentation. Of course Linux user using a distribution name in search to find documentation does not equal them using that distribution just them knowing about that distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Steam survey
        https://store.steampowered.com/hwsur...platform=linux
        This tells you its roughly 1/4 Ubuntu. That is for gamers.
        It’s actually more than 1/4. Ubuntu releases are treated as separate, so we are only seeing numbers from Ubuntu 20.04 and there’s 56% in the “other” category.

If you want more accuracy, check the numbers before and after April.

Feb 2020: Ubuntu has 32.7% across 19.10, 18.04.4 LTS, 18.04.3 LTS

May 2020: Ubuntu has 35.7% across 20.04 LTS, 19.10, 18.04.4 LTS

June 2020: Ubuntu has 31.7% across 20.04 LTS, 18.04.04 LTS

Oct 2020: Ubuntu has 32.5% across 20.04.1 LTS and 18.04.5 LTS

We know that there is still 16.04 LTS, 19.10, and 20.10 in the other category, and I don’t think it’s too far fetched to say that they probably make up approx. 10-15% combined.

Also, I never claimed 97%, check again. I always said “highest userbase” or “most popular”

What mmpix doesn’t seem to understand is that if the second most popular distro has 15% market share, then Ubuntu would only need 16% to be the most popular.
        Last edited by lyamc; 17 January 2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

It’s actually more than 1/4. Ubuntu releases are treated as separate, so we are only seeing numbers from Ubuntu 20.04 and there’s 56% in the “other” category.

If you want more accuracy, check the numbers before and after April.

Feb 2020: Ubuntu has 32.7% across 19.10, 18.04.4 LTS, 18.04.3 LTS

May 2020: Ubuntu has 35.7% across 20.04 LTS, 19.10, 18.04.4 LTS

June 2020: Ubuntu has 31.7% across 20.04 LTS, 18.04.04 LTS

Oct 2020: Ubuntu has 32.5% across 20.04.1 LTS and 18.04.5 LTS

We know that there is still 16.04 LTS, 19.10, and 20.10 in the other category, and I don’t think it’s too far fetched to say that they probably make up approx. 10-15% combined.
          16.04 LTS users are in fact rare to find free upgrades see to that.

Official support for Ubuntu 19.10 'Eoan Ermine' end on July 17, 2020. Canonical advise users to upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, the next stable release, soon.

19.10 is end of life if you did attempt to use that with steam now it will complain at you. Yes 19.10 disappears in June 2020 because it goes end of life and steam starting complaining. So 16.04 and 19.10 is not really out there to be counted in the current steam numbers. There could be a few percent in 20.10 but not enough to get above 40%.

Also the other fun fact when something 32.5% Ubuntu that also counts some of the custom built distributions based on ubuntu that don't have the same out the box defaults as Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

16.04 LTS users are in fact rare to find free upgrades see to that.

Also the other fun fact when something 32.5% Ubuntu that also counts some of the custom built distributions based on ubuntu that don't have the same out the box defaults as Ubuntu.
            Ubuntu with a different DE (Kubuntu, etc) is still Ubuntu, otherwise you need to separate all the others like manjaro and arch linux

Comment

Ubuntu with a different DE (Kubuntu, etc) is still Ubuntu, otherwise you need to separate all the others like manjaro and arch linux
              When looking at it from a security point of view some of those are in fact different with the out the box configuration. Interesting point at this stage if you are looking at out the box security configuration manjaro and arch don't have the split.

The reason why I mentioned it uid313 is attempt to use Ubuntu market percentages to only look at 1 version of Ubuntu and say they are all the security the same. The arguement they are still Ubuntu does not hold up when it comes to security they need to be broken down into groups based on how they are configured out the box. Yes there are hardened versions of Ubuntu.

Comment

Since we aren’t talking about phones then why would you include phones?

Take a look at Google Trends to see just how popular Ubuntu is. (Link attached below)

I’m going to try some deduction here. Let’s say that the search term “Linux” includes all searches for Linux and Linux Distributions.

If Ubuntu shows up in half of those searches, then it is at LEAST 50% of the entire Linux market share.

——-

For another example, take a look at Linux subreddits for interest and community engagement

610k - r/linux
                219k - r/ChromeOS
                166k - r/Ubuntu
                165k - r/archlinux
                52.8k - r/linuxmint
                46.1k - r/debian
                43.4k - r/Fedora
                27.3k - r/pop_os
                Phones? I never mentioned phones.

I looked at the references. Again, sure, Ubuntu is a popular distro. I still don't think that they proof that Ubuntu is "dominating in desktop linux".
                One problem is, again, that you cannot look at distros and separate desktop, server, embedded (as in raspberry pi), etc. use.
                Then, every Linux user that I know uses Ubuntu (and Arch) search/forums for tech support.
                Finally, if Ubuntu was that dominating, all of their tech innovations/proposal would have been successful. However, many were a failure especially on the desktop such as rolling back unity to gnome.. I'm happy to take bets if snap survives flatpak
                PS. I'm not claiming that Ubuntu did not contribute to Linux - they did a lot but they are also just one of many.

Comment

Also, I never claimed 97%, check again. I always said “highest userbase” or “most popular”
                  What mmpix doesn’t seem to understand is that if the second most popular distro has 15% market share, then Ubuntu would only need 16% to be the most popular.
                  What I am saying it that there is insufficient data to claim a "highest", i.e. a "victory". It could be.

I'm perfectly fine with "most popular distro on steam". However, does this include game streaming services?
                  Then, you cannot really extrapolate from there as steam numbers are at best representative on "gamers". It is certainly not installed on any corporate or military environment that uses linux desktops.
                  Last edited by mppix; 19 January 2021, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

What I am saying it that there is insufficient data to claim a "highest", i.e. a "victory". It could be.
                    If all evidence points to Ubuntu as being the most popular desktop Linux distro on X86-64 then it can be assumed that it is the most popular until proven otherwise.

Highest searches/interest with Google Trends
                    Highest active userbase with Steam
                    Most commercial support in hardware machines
                    Most seeds/peers in torrent downloads
                    Most activity online, including news sites, forums and websites such as stackoverflow and reddit.
                    Most support in regards to spinning up online images

How about you give me something, anything to say otherwise. My favourite OS was Crunchbang, I have no horse in this race.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Phones? I never mentioned phones.
                      This is what you said:

"highest userbase": maybe if you count strictly desktop use
                      Adding servers wouldn't change anything, but mobile would easily put Android into the number 1 spot. Chromebooks would likely be in the number 2 spot.

Comment

Working...
                      X