Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 34 To Ship An ISO With The i3 Window Manager

Phoronix: Fedora 34 To Ship An ISO With The i3 Window Manager

While the i3 window manager has been around for more than a decade, it's taken until now for an i3 window manager spin of Fedora to be solicited and approved...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ora-34-i3-Spin

I wonder why they chose i3 over sway, I had both running and sway has a much much better user experience, no tearing, a few useful additions like the stash and IMO far better default shortcuts 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
      I wonder why they chose i3 over sway, I had both running and sway has a much much better user experience, no tearing, a few useful additions like the stash and IMO far better default shortcuts 🤷‍♂️
      Not sure but maybe i3 is more popular?

Comment

I wonder why they chose i3 over sway,
        The i3 spin happened mostly because there were some individuals motivated to create an i3 SIG and do the work required to create a Fedora spin. At least to this point the sway SIG has not decided to resource creating a spin. If you want Fedora to have a swap spin you should likely join the swag SIG and start to work the process.

Comment

Nevermind, I honestly don't see the benefit in a spin with just a window manager over no window manager at all and installing it myself, its different to full blown desktops with supplementary programs though (albeit I prefer to choose my programs myself).

What made me wondering was, I had my first experience with tiling window managers through sway in lock-down and was pretty pleased with it, when I came back I installed i3 on my (Nvidia powered) workstation and was quite underwhelmed...

Comment

Sway FTW!!!

Comment

There's not a lot of future for i3 going forward, seeing as X11 is on the out and sway is not only i3 config compatible, but basically a better i3 already running on wayland.

Comment

The ecosystem of little apps you use as building blocks is of course more mature in X11 compositors, but their wayland equivalents are definitely catching up.

Comment

Until recently a show-stopper of mine was lack of ability to keep keyboard layout per window. From my experience, this feature seems to be important to some countries. I'm personally Russian; and then also French folks I think need this feature. The workflow is that I have a couple of chats opened where I talk in russian, and rarely need english. And then there are browser/editor/terminal where I always use english. And it is pretty annoying to have to switch layout all the time.

Btw, related to this is a funny story. I actually contributed support for per-window layout to sway. Over time it finally got reviewed, but then there was one dude, who for some reason did not like it. What he did was he opened a separate PR to implement the feature with a plugin. That's okay, I'm fine with dropping my code. If someone takes away responsibility for feature, that's an upside to me. So, I left a few comments to his PR, and he's like freaked out! Like, as if I was insulting him 😄 I honestly don't know. I politely explained I didn't mean anything mean, to no avail, I'm a bad guy, etc. In retrospective, since I am bad in social interactions and might have missed out something, I asked a friend who works as a psychotherapist to look at this thread and tell if I really was missing something. She said, she also did not understand what's wrong. Oh, well.

Then later what happened is that Sway maintainer/creator Sir.Cmpwn resolved all problems. Do you know how? He locked up both our PRs and the issue about per-window keyboard layout 😂😂😂 Geez.

Anyway, as of recent there's another thing I would miss a lot if I ever migrate to Sway: I'm using KDE with i3, and I love the KDE panel with stuff like screen light and sound being automatically bound to correct keys without me doing anything, and the overall visual style. Yeah, I love fancies ☺
                  Last edited by Hi-Angel; 13 January 2021, 09:08 AM. Reason: grammar, clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                    and then also French folks I think need this feature
                    As a native French speaker, switching keyboard layouts to write English isn't nearly as common since you can write perfect English on an AZERTY keyboard. (The opposite isn't true; you can't write "proper" French with accents on an US QWERTY keyboard.)

There are some use cases for switching to QWERTY on Linux (such as some old/uncooperative games not using physical key codes and not having remappable keys, like Among Us). That said, I think it's fine to switch globally using a hotkey since it's an uncommon enough use case.

Comment

Working...
                    X