Fedora Shifting Their Git Repositories To "Main", Some To "Rawhide"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    I wonder what they'll rename Rawhide to, if, as I expect, it is rightfully objected to by Hindus and vegans. "Undigested Grass Clippings" would be a nice alternative name, and would honor cattle.
    Got in the comments just to say, Rawhide is a very violent term. I'm offended. #cancelfedora
    Last edited by doomie; 21 December 2020, 12:01 PM. Reason: forgot the hashtag.

Comment

I vote to switch Their Git Repositories "main" to "Dominus" just to make sure the slaves who use linux know who their real master is.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I wonder what they'll rename Rawhide to, if, as I expect, it is rightfully objected to by Hindus and vegans. "Undigested Grass Clippings" would be a nice alternative name, and would honor cattle.
        What about Bovine Epidermis?
        GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
          I vote to switch Their Git Repositories "main" to "Dominus" just to make sure the slaves who use linux know who their real master is.
          Hahaha, I had been thinking, maybe deleting even historical words is so that the populace won't be able to describe what they are to the global authoritarian elite. Choice hurts my brain, I'll just do what I'm told and shop amazon. $250k for a degree?? How can I lose?!?? Uh oh, my automobile subscription is about to expire...
          Last edited by doomie; 21 December 2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dirlewanger88

The Fedora 17 codename was "Beefy Miracle" and at one point they had a smiling hotdog for a logo. The also gave GNOME the foot logo, which signifies dirtiness and lowliness in many cultures.
            "Beefy Miracle?" Are you kidding me? I am sure that NO ONE could possibly think of anything that could offend anyone with that name. Wow!

And showing the sole of a foot to someone is offensive in several south central Asian cultures. Will Gnome change that next?

Comment

I know, right? And even "main" is offensive 'cause in Dutch "main" is modern slang for "man", which implies that it's not meant to be used by women, transgenders, etc. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I know, right? And even "main" is offensive 'cause in Dutch "main" is modern slang for "man", which implies that it's not meant to be used by women, transgenders, etc. :P
                I use a distro that named its current version "ugly duckling" in Spanish. I suggested "ugly goose" for the next version, but was told that "goose" has negative connotations in Spanish. In a multi-lingual, multi-cultural context it's probably impossible to not ever say or write anything that couldn't be deemed offensive or insulting or undesirable to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
                  I'm not against this, but it doesn't feel like a good use of developer time. I imagine a very small number of individuals were offended by the primary branch being called 'master'.
                  Yup. Every time someone from a relevant project renames branches or force pushes, some distribution's automated tracking will break and developers have to fix the mess. In best case the breakages are well visible.

Comment

I use a distro that named its current version "ugly duckling" in Spanish. I suggested "ugly goose" for the next version, but was told that "goose" has negative connotations in Spanish. In a multi-lingual, multi-cultural context it's probably impossible to not ever say or write anything that couldn't be deemed offensive or insulting or undesirable to someone.
                    That is funny. One of my favorite Mexican dishes is chorizo and huevos - which can roughly be translated as sausage and eggs (chorizo is a type of sausage as you are aware). But if you look at the slang meaning for huevos in Spanish and the English slang meaning for sausage, then sausage and eggs becomes quite "interesting." You are right, it is probably impossible not to say something that will not offend somebody.
                    Last edited by f0rmat; 21 December 2020, 02:19 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
                      I'm not against this, but it doesn't feel like a good use of developer time. I imagine a very small number of individuals were offended by the primary branch being called 'master'.
                      It is one of the weaknesses of the fields of study is that it is not really possible to know the true numbers of how many people decided not to join a community because they were offended due to use of a term as few people will be vocal about their reasoning. That even one person did not feel welcome will resonate with some, and be dismissed by others. And so it goes.
                      Last edited by CommunityMember; 21 December 2020, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X