Canonical Saw ~$119M Revenue In 2019 But Still Operating At A Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Whether it's an API or a protocol or you dog on steroids doesn't matter, I said they should've switched to and helped develop Wayland rather than waste resources on Mir - both of which were meant as "the new replacement for X11" - and that's the only point there is. You started the irrelevant non-sense about protocol vs API.
    No, you're entirely wrong. Wayland is a replacement for X11. Mir is a replacement for Xorg, Mutter or Kwin. I've never heard anyone complaining about too few Wayland protocol developers. There have been a need for compositor developers, but for some reason, you're only complaining about Mir and not other Wayland compositors.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz
      jo-erlend Don’t mind Mez. He’s just trolling a bit. The desktop icon extension is hosted on GNOME’s gitlab and installed using GNOME. So no “occult site outside GNOME”
      https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Shell.../desktop-icons
      That's broken.
      This is the one that works:

A fork from the official desktop icons project, with several enhancements like Drag'n'Drop.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz
        jo-erlend Don’t mind Mez. He’s just trolling a bit. The desktop icon extension is hosted on GNOME’s gitlab and installed using GNOME. So no “occult site outside GNOME”
        https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Shell.../desktop-icons
        I'm not trolling. I've given enough arguments to back that up.
        I don't know why jo-erlend focuses so much on desktop icons. I really don't care that much about them (and deactivate them first thing). I'm just taking it as a single example among many similar ones, because it's typical of the Gnome devs mindset and its flawed design from the start.
        But if you want to stubbornly focus on one single thing while I was much more general, alright...

I couldn't care less if it's the file manager who has to handle them. As a user, I shouldn't have to care about that.
        It is a standard option in any DE and should be available through one click (checkbox, switch) for those who use it, especially since we're talking about Nautilus, which is part of the Gnome ecosystem and mindset (even if not developed by the same core team). If Gnome devs don't need it, they remove it. Which is the wrong mindset. Diversity of workflows, thank you. I don't use it but the massive number of ones who do shouldn't be left behind.
        And no, you are wrong, you can't install desktop icons in Gnome. The only thing you can do from Gnome is manage them after installation and only if you installed Gnome Extensions separately. To install one you need to go to a website that was in no way advertised before 3.36 (in the new Gnome Extensions app that stupidly enough is not a hard dependency) or to your distro package manager. This should be completely distro/package manager independent for obvious reasons.
        These are in no way user friendly methods.
        I don't like Windows (and only use it professionally without a say), but on a clean install a basic feature like this is just right click --> display --> display desktop elements. And that is how it should be, or in settings or Gnome Tweaks (which should be a hard dependency of Gnome btw) at the very least.
        And the extensions website should be pushed forward clearly. At first Gnome start: "Here you can find all the basic features to complete this minimal DE. We strongly recommend you visit it to customize your workflow to your needs".

The simplest things like these should be part of Gnome, and I don't care about the reasons why it is not. It's a missing feature if it's not default, period.

All of this (needing Gnome Tweaks, Gnome Extensions, an extensions website or a package manager, having a restrained choice for the users on basic features, rubbing hands on responsibilities) is exactly why Gnome is flawed and really messy.
        Just create a settings window like everywhere else where you integrate all the common configuration one should expect in a DE (basically what Gnome Tweaks does plus the missing basic features of Gnome) and the extensions management (Gnome Extensions in a tab) with clear and visible direction on how to get them. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
        They could have kept it simple instead of that mess they created because they are customization averse and hinder users as much as possible with separate stuff and little information about them.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

No, you're entirely wrong. Wayland is a replacement for X11. Mir is a replacement for Xorg, Mutter or Kwin. I've never heard anyone complaining about too few Wayland protocol developers. There have been a need for compositor developers, but for some reason, you're only complaining about Mir and not other Wayland compositors.
          haha you're scratching the bottom of the barrel. X11 and Xorg are the same, X11 is the protocol and Xorg the software implementing it. And Mutter and Kwin can run on Xorg or Wayland, but not Mir because it sucks and lost. Deal with it even if you're butthurt.

PS: And Mir isn't a replacement for Mutter or KWin - which just shows you have no clue what Mir is.
          Last edited by cl333r; 12 November 2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            The simplest things like these should be part of Gnome, and I don't care about the reasons why it is not. It's a missing feature if it's not default, period.
            They could have kept it simple instead of that mess they created because they are customization averse and hinder users as much as possible with separate stuff and little information about them.
            Btw we're always complaining about the split configuration in Windows 10 between the new tablet like Settings </3 and the (g)old Control Panel <3 and how little sense it makes from a user perspective, but then Gnome has at least 2+1 different configuration interfaces:
            • Settings
            • Gnome Tweaks
            • Extensions

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Btw we're always complaining about the split configuration in Windows 10 between the new tablet like Settings </3 and the (g)old Control Panel <3 and how little sense it makes from a user perspective, but then Gnome has at least 2+1 different configuration interfaces:
              • Settings
              • Gnome Tweaks
              • Extensions
              And 2 of them are not even hard dependencies. Which means if some distros forget to or decide not to include them, the user is in an Apple-like kind of situation, completely locked in what he can do. This works for Fedora users who submissively accept things just as they are given to them, not for other distro (more proactive) users.
              Sure, contrary to Apple the user can still install these external apps, but he has to figure out by himself in forums or in a search engine that they exist and how to install them, as Gnome don't mention them in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Ubuntu was the distribution that opened up to ease of installation and use of Linux, however today most distributions are simple, indeed Ubuntu has even lost ground.
                For example there are distributions, which automatically eliminate the old kernels, keeping only the last two, there are distributions that have graphical configuration tools that Ubuntu does not have, there are distributions able to cancel an update.
                So no, Ubuntu isn't the simplest distribution today.
                That's such a lie... Ubuntu was definitely -NOT-, I repeat -NOT-, the first linux with an easy installation.... You know, if google doesn't work for you then you can use duckduckgo... Any search engine would do the trick for crying out loud...

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post

Then you’d still be worse financially than canonical. Give it up.

Also, why are all of you celebrating when you hear that a company which does a lot of open source work ends up losing money?

I find it ironic that I was called the toxic one for calling people stupid when they can’t seem to see that they’re fighting against someone in the same team.
                  Umm because Canonical has dramatically hurt linux adoption over and over and over and over and over.......................................

Comment

Ruby, that’s perhaps the stupidest claim I have heard yet. My first Linux experience was Ubuntu 10.04. If it weren’t for Ubuntu I wouldn’t have even tried Linux.

Wait unless that is sarcasm whoops

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
                      Ruby, that’s perhaps the stupidest claim I have heard yet. My first Linux experience was Ubuntu 10.04. If it weren’t for Ubuntu I wouldn’t have even tried Linux.

Wait unless that is sarcasm whoops
                      use a good search engine like duckduckgo and apply this search term "Canonical ubuntu nih syndrome"

Comment

Working...
                      X