Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ari_linux View Post

Not anymore.
    Ubuntu 20.04 LTS keeps the latest two kernel version installed on the system and mark the older kernels as autoremove-able.
    Not automatically remove them, but the users can remove them easily via command "apt autoremove" or via Synaptic Package Manager.
    Users have the control to keep or to remove them.
    And removing old kernels with "apt autoremove" have worked since at least 14.04

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
      Should be acquired by Microsoft.
      Understand that Ubuntu is one of the only people standing up against IBMHat. RedHat almost has total control of Linux and a lot of bad is coming out of it. With diversity users win.

Do you really want Microsoft and IBM to control every decision about Linux's design?
      Last edited by k1e0x; 10 November 2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I heard this fallacy many times, it thrives on the technical fact that Mir is indeed a display server and wayland a protocol and from there you try to build your widen up nonsense, yet I'm sure you know what I meant.
        No, I don't, actually. You can explain why a new display server _must_ declare its internal protocols rather than using public APIs for software developers to rely on. You seem absolutely certain that this is a critical difference, but you haven't made any attempt to explain why you think that. How am I supposed to know what you mean when you keep it a secret?

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

And removing old kernels with "apt autoremove" have worked since at least 14.04
          This is fine for you and me, unfortunately most of the people they know don't use the terminal to update the system and that's why after 2 years you find yourself a lot of kernels. There was talk of simple distributions and the fact that Ubuntu has been at the forefront of this, but this is proof that in recent years, other distributions have included features that make life easier for users.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            Gnome's?
            They're so buried in their bunker with no consideration for or insights on what their users want that they deserve the bashing. You can't develop your own keyboard-centric thing for developers, strip down plenty of features and then expect the mostly non-developer userbase to be happy.
            Gnome loudly told users that if was impossible to find any developer who was willing to support desktop icons in Nautilus, then that feature would be removed. Like Red Hat, Canonical could've stepped up and maintained that feature, but just like you and me, they chose not to. Gnome is not a corporation. They can't just assign people to work on things that users would find nice. They can only ask and the answer they received, was "no".

Canonical got that right and that's why Ubuntu is really great at what it does. They listen. To users, not to the kind of protective upstream whiners looming around here.
            Canonical is a corporation. They can order people to develop things that users want, which is exactly what Gnome cannot. When Gnome asked Canonical and the rest of the world to find a developer who could support the desktop icons in Nautilus, Canonical said no. Is that what you're celebrating? Personally, I don't use desktop icons and I find them to be a bad concept that should've been forgotten by the end of the nineties. So I very well understand why all distros, all individuals and all of the Linux corporations chose not to "listen", which I guess is what you always say when you feel that someone else should spend their money to give you what you want.

I get the feeling that you're one of those people who have been spending a lot of time telling people to be angry about desktop icons instead of telling people how incredibly easy it is to get desktop icons. Maybe that's because you don't know how incredibly easy that is, in which case you're just one of those people who makes angry statements instead of asking questions. Either way, you're a much bigger part of the problem than Gnome is.

User A: Hmm. They removed desktop icons? I liked those. I can I get them back?
            User B: Mate's fork of Nautilus still supports them and other features people miss in newer versions of Nautilus. sudo apt remove nautilus && sudo apt install caja.

If this is really the thing you've spent months or years of your life being angry about, you should really evaluate how you're spending your time. Personally, I prefer Caja to Nautilus anyway, because I disagree with several design decisions in newer versions of Nautilus. For instance, I use Unity and Caja still supports the menus that allows me to use the HUD, which Nautilus does not.

But knowing that it only takes a few seconds to improve that very small part of my life, you really cannot get me very upset over it. You don't even mention the solution, do you, you only use data as a method to cause FUD.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
              Anyway, we’re back to the point where something in Gnome is stupid and doesn’t make sense and Gnome devs just keep it that way because it’s intentional.

Because why would I need a minimize/maximize button? /s
              You do know that minimize and maximize are unrelated, right? In the traditional setup, you have minimize, restore/maximize and close. The minimize button is only used when you want to design your work environment by telling the system all the things you don't want to see. Like Gnome, I think it's better to tell the system what you do want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

No, I don't, actually. You can explain why a new display server _must_ declare its internal protocols rather than using public APIs for software developers to rely on. You seem absolutely certain that this is a critical difference, but you haven't made any attempt to explain why you think that. How am I supposed to know what you mean when you keep it a secret?
                Whether it's an API or a protocol or you dog on steroids doesn't matter, I said they should've switched to and helped develop Wayland rather than waste resources on Mir - both of which were meant as "the new replacement for X11" - and that's the only point there is. You started the irrelevant non-sense about protocol vs API.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  It’s good to know their Desktop Team is back on GNOME.
                  Calling a single Gnome developer at Canonical a team is kinda stretching it....

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                    Ubuntu was the distribution that opened up to ease of installation and use of Linux
                    Nope, that was Mandrake.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
                      IIRC Upstart came before systemd, in fact RHEL 6 used Upstart
                      Sure but the drama of buying Debian TC votes to keep Upstart alive was unnecessary.

Comment

Working...
                      X