Fedora 33 Beta To Be Released Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
    I have no experience with btrfs but I searched and most people recommend /boot to be a subvolume since grub has no problem booting from btrfs. Any advantage/disadvantage?
    As I recall, while grub can boot from btrfs, it has (had?) not been updated to fully support /boot in a subvolume, as only syslinux had the necessary updates that would work in some install and use cases (and the default installer wants to support the majority of use cases).

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
      I am running a somewhat minimal Fedora 32 installation. Is there anyway to do an "in-place" upgrade to 33 beta in the terminal? Once 33 is officially released I will probably do a clean install to convert to Btrfs, but would be fun to upgrade in-place for now.
      Once the bits make it to the mirrors (and the bits should be there, but your mirrors may vary), you *should* be able to do a `dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=33` (followed by the system-upgrade reboot to actually do the deed) if you really want to do an upgrade. As always with any Beta your system could end up broken (caveat emptor).

Comment

I did the upgrade on a couple of machines including my desktop last week and every thing seems fine. I just did a dnf upgrade --releasever=33. If you have a burning desire to move to BTFS from ext4 you can do that at any time with out reinstalling as long as you have the space. That was always one of the real cool features of BTRFS.

All the big changes I am looking for aren't in 33 so I am hoping for 33 to get out the door smoothly so they can focus on pulling in stuff for 34.

Comment

Fedora Devs are on some Drug. why release Fedora Beta 33 with Firefox78 when F32 will have 81 an when someone decides to do an upgrade it'll wanna downgrade Firefox . an ya wonder why Fedora are losing users , all i can say is there IDIOTS .. dont bother with the Beta, wait till final

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Once the bits make it to the mirrors (and the bits should be there, but your mirrors may vary), you *should* be able to do a `dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=33` (followed by the system-upgrade reboot to actually do the deed) if you really want to do an upgrade. As always with any Beta your system could end up broken (caveat emptor).
            You can actually upgrade as soon as they branch the new release from Rawhide if you don't want to wait for the beta. I upgraded one machine mid August. Toolbox was broken, but then again toolbox broke for a bit in F32 stable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
              Fedora Devs are on some Drug. why release Fedora Beta 33 with Firefox78 when F32 will have 81 an when someone decides to do an upgrade it'll wanna downgrade Firefox . an ya wonder why Fedora are losing users , all i can say is there IDIOTS .. dont bother with the Beta, wait till final
              Because Firefox 81 came too late during milestone freeze without granted exception were updates are temporarily suspended. That someone who updates to Beta Release will automatically get a new version of Firefox via Software or dnf system-upgrade. We are talking about Beta Release here. Considering your comments, it is very surprising you failed to read that information in Fedora Project.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Because Firefox 81 came too late during milestone freeze without granted exception were updates are temporarily suspended. That someone who updates to Beta Release will automatically get a new version of Firefox via Software or dnf system-upgrade. We are talking about Beta Release here. Considering your comments, it is very surprising you failed to read that information in Fedora Project.
                they could of made an Exemption for it being put on the Beta. they have done those things before with other stuff they care abut, like Gnomes-Hell for example, Fedora dont have a Policy. , it'll peeve some people off.

Comment

they could of made an Exemption for it being put on the Beta. they have done those things before with other stuff they care abut, like Gnomes-Hell for example, Fedora dont have a Policy. , it'll peeve some people off.
                  Problem was Firefox failed to build with LTO support by default enabled and the version in the update come with that disabled function. Let remind we are talking about Beta Release where users should expect bugs and regressions and report them.

Comment

No. If the installed version is newer than the version in the repo it just won't install it. I am running FF 80.1 on my FC33 desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                      Problem was Firefox failed to build with LTO support by default enabled and the version in the update come with that disabled function. Let remind we are talking about Beta Release where users should expect bugs and regressions and report them.
                      from what i have noticed an im sure of, Kalev Disabled LTO on all arches of firefox. https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/...uildID=1614365 LTO IMO is a PITA

Comment

Working...
                      X