Approved: Fedora 33 Desktop Variants Defaulting To Btrfs File-System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
    Apparently, the aspiring Fedora Workstation user is clamouring for all these "advanced features" yet somehow can't seem to cope with Vi.
    Vi has no "advanced features", it's just hard to use for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
      i've been using btrfs on ubuntu for the past six months... it's excruciating. I've been using a standard criucial mx500 256gb ssd on 2 different systems.

Updates takes sometimes even 10 times more than ext4.

I have i/o stalls. Lots of them. Inconsistent performance all across the board. (i7 4770k + 16gb of ram, and also l5640 with 40gb of ram)
      Ubuntu is a bad choice for btrfs. It always was. A good chunk of "btrfs horror stories" come from Ubuntu users.
      Especially the LTS versions, as they don't care about backporting btrfs stuff.

OpenSUSE where btrfs is a first-class citizen has no such issues for example

Comment

I don't believe that Redhat was using BtrFS as a lever to steal business away from SuSE and Oracle.
        He said that RedHat said btrfs is bad because they plan to use Stratis as a lever to steal businness from SUSE and Oracle

Comment

It's a fallacy of inconsistency. The absurdity is funny.
          what is inconsistent, btrfs offers features most other filesystems don't, vi does not offer anything more than nano

Comment

Originally posted by johnvardas View Post
            Will Dropbox decide to support Btrfs? Or those Fedora users will be very disappointed
            Dropbox added again btrfs and all other noteworthy filesystems after a few months https://help.dropbox.com/installs-in...m-requirements

A Dropbox folder on a hard drive or partition formatted with one the following file system types:
            • ext4
            • zfs (on 64-bit systems only)
            • eCryptFS (back by ext4)
            • xfs (on 64-bit systems only)
            • btrfs

Comment

Originally posted by aorth View Post
              Is it terrible if I do LUKS + BTRFS?
              It's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

... vi does not offer anything more than nano
                Lol, what an ignorant statement.

Comment

Originally posted by useless View Post

Thank apt for that. They do a lot of needlessly fsync calls IIRC.

In what kind of workload?
                  any kind- from the thumbnails generation to steam game install(gigabit internet)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Ubuntu is a bad choice for btrfs. It always was. A good chunk of "btrfs horror stories" come from Ubuntu users.
                    Especially the LTS versions, as they don't care about backporting btrfs stuff.

OpenSUSE where btrfs is a first-class citizen has no such issues for example
                    i'm using a custom updated kernel. It helped in the measure it's xanmod and it helps any computer

Comment

Originally posted by gnulinux82 View Post

When did they say this? Link?
                      I cannot find a link. It was a Twitter post referenced offhand by Michael in a forum post some time ago. The issue was FS test results due to Copy on Write being enabled, and Phoronix bar charts not showing which FS was in use by each distro in a head-to-head comparison, so that superficially SUSE looked pretty poor on those tests, resulting in someone taking umbrage at a perceived slight. It's a misunderstanding that could happen again.

Comment

Working...
                      X