No announcement yet.

Linux Mint 20 To Better Fend Off Snaps, Improve NVIDIA Optimus Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never really liked Snaps, the slow startup, big package size, auto-updating root deamon that you couldn't control (I know there's a thing now...) or even query what it had done. Flatpaks just seem so much simpler, it's just a bunch of files on your normal filesystem.

Comment

I used Mint-MATE for a long time, and really enjoyed it. Around the time that some Ubuntu devs started impugning Mint's security, and having been frustrated with Mint's Firefox changes, I tried Ubuntu-MATE, and never looked back. Though, after an Ubuntu install, I still snarf the debs of some of Mint's themes and icon sets. Best of both worlds!

Edit to add that after the install I also remove all snaps and purge snapd. For Chromium, ungoogled-chromium from the OpenSUSE Build Service works quite well with no need for a snap.
      Last edited by MarkG; 01 June 2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Fighting the good fight there Mint. I'm not into fixed-released distros, but Mint is probably the best of the bunch. I used it in VMs a while back and was very impressed, Cinnamon is probably the best designed DE on Linux, very intuitive and pleasing to the eye.

I'm glad they're rejecting the snapd crap, that's a good decision. Mint is not known for bleeding-edge software, which I see as a good thing. If you want bleeding-edge, install Fedora or Arch or something. The users of Mint have no need for snaps, debs are perfectly serviceable for the users Mint is targeted at.

Comment

Originally posted by antonyshen View Post
          Snap is not a evil thing, why should one opt-out?
          snaps per se are not evil. But you cant host another repo if you dont change the hardcode. the server is propritary. Basicly snap is owned by ubuntu.
          thereforeI prefer flatpak.

besides. If you want to have a Ubuntu how Ubuntu should be snaps and amazon free choose PopOS. They also have manged to make hybrid graphics working

p.s. the headline of this article sounds almost like a rebase of ubuntu to popos
          Last edited by CochainComplex; 01 June 2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post
            What a stupid comment. This is like saying that Ubuntu has no reason to exist
            Ever since Fedora stopped being experimental, there is actually little reason for Ubuntu to exist. I never ever had a single problem upgrading Fedora, I've had several when upgrading Ubuntu. For LTS releases there is CentOS.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              snaps per se are not evil. But you cant host another repo if you dont change the hardcode. the server is propritary. Basicly snap is owned by ubuntu.
              That right there is pretty evil. But then you throw in the huge application start up time when installed as a snap, the huge disk space, the huge memory foot print, the auto-updating root daemon that you couldn't control, the resulting cell phone hotspot data plan bill -- snap is indeed pure evil. Even more evil than systemd!

Linux Mint is fighting the good fight by eliminating snaps and blocking them from re-gaining a foothold into your system. If I weren't so happy with Sakaki's Gentoo ARM 64-bit on Raspberry Pi 4, I would seriously consider Linux Mint when it's basically "Ubuntu without snaps!"
              Last edited by ed31337; 02 June 2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post

That right there is pretty evil. But then you throw in the huge application start up time when installed as a snap, the huge disk space, the huge memory foot print, the auto-updating root daemon that you couldn't control, the resulting cell phone hotspot data plan bill -- snap is indeed pure evil. Even more evil than systemd!

Linux Mint is fighting the good fight by eliminating snaps and blocking them from re-gaining a foothold into your system. If I weren't so happy with Sakaki's Gentoo ARM 64-bit on Raspberry Pi 4, I would seriously consider Linux Mint when it's basically "Ubuntu without snaps!"
                You should consider PopOS (no snap no amazon) ...it is really ..sorry for the advertisment the best ubuntu "flavor" out there yet

Comment

From Mint compared to Ubuntu also prefer the Update Manager and the Driver manager, and that a Cinnamon flavor is available by default

Comment

Originally posted by Werner99 View Post
                    OMG how stupid could you be?
                    Linux Mint 19.3 has the option to install Kernel 5.3 inside the Update Manager.
                    Sure, why not replace the 5.0 kernel with the EOL'd 5.3 kernel. Great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Like with Flats, programs needing to access external hardware (microphones, printers, cameras, etc) simply may not work 100% so you end up having to install the native version of the program. It was a problem I had with Flats and LibreOffice and GIMP. Outside of those issues, however, they're just fine for most people.

To answer your question from another perspective of the community -- Wharblgarble, Ubuntu made it and Canonical be evil cause we're retarded. Wharblgarble.
                      Also logins. Skype for Linux Snap requires me to log in every time I open the lid of my laptop and open the Skype window, whereas that same issue isn't present in the Skype DEB, not even in the unstable repo.

Comment

Working...
                      X