X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
    re: DNF - there is some suggestion from suse devs that zypper is heading towards retirement in the medium term.
    *grabs popcorn and waits for the angry Phoronix mob to arrive*

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I was excited to see all the changes until I clicked on the link and saw the first one

How come that isn't 5.4.something? Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't 5.4 or 4.14 be better choices over an EOL'd kernel?
    I'd like to think that too, but then again, even Ubuntu LTS ships with the latest and greatest Firefox rather than Firefox ESR. My point being that LTS, no matter what type of software, is hardly ever preferred by distro devs.

Leave a comment:

• Leinad
    replied
    Mesa 19.2.6 , almost a year old, probably broken import from SLE, because SLE has "only" half year old 19.3. RC phase, nobody notices.
    Glibc 2.26, 3 years old, some games does not run on it. At least kernel 5.3 contains critical backports, like wireguard, so it is fairly modern.

It looks like Leap want to be conservative. But don't be fooled. A week ago a big major version update of freetype was pushed directly to "stable" Leap 15.1. So some of us have ugly fonts in some applications now.

So new Leap comes with outdated packages, while breaking changes are pushed into stable version. I was big openSUSE fan with version Leap 42.2 and 42.3 . But Leap 15 is disappointment.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by mykolak View Post
    Meaning? What are "standard packages"?
    It means 144Hz is early-birding the thread and trying to turn it into desktop holy wars. Do not feed...

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    So one more leap release to go until native exfat and wireguard support in the kernel? I think my Comet Lake laptop needs kernel 5.4+(might have issues lower than 5.5 actually iirc), probably some other useful kernel features that don't immediately come to mind.

Nice to see Plasma 5.18, does leap only use LTS versions? If so, guess I'll wait until one more LTS release of plasma before considering leap, I still haven't given TW a try yet.

Leave a comment:

• Toggleton
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I was excited to see all the changes until I clicked on the link and saw the first one

How come that isn't 5.4.something? Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't 5.4 or 4.14 be better choices over an EOL'd kernel?
    "The kernel in Leap is the same kernel used in SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Service Pack 2. This kernel version is maintained by SUSE"

Leave a comment:

• Jedibeeftrix
    replied
    the long lead time of validating enterprise systems.

re: DNF - there is some suggestion from suse devs that zypper is heading towards retirement in the medium term.
    Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 29 May 2020, 09:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

Leap 15.2 will use the 5.3.18 Linux Kernel.

Leave a comment:

• mykolak
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    The SLE-Leap merger is almost complete. No way to go back.
    Why they should to go back?

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Hopefully they will align on standard packages after release
    Meaning? What are "standard packages"?

Leave a comment:

• mykolak
    replied
    Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    since when does the suse uses dnf?
    It doesn't use it, just has it as a package. If someone for unknown reason needs it. It has dpkg but doesn't use it too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X