Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denebe
    replied
    I am just very happy with the release of Leap 15.2 RC. It works perfect in a VM for me, a simple user. Now the question is: how long can I resist for installing it before the official release.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by mykolak View Post
    "Standard packages" → ?? → "Gnome"
    How?
    Nice try. Fool Phoronix once, shame on you. Fool Phoronix 1,150 more times? Shame on you/Michael/144Hz...

Leave a comment:

• mykolak
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    It means 144Hz is early-birding the thread and trying to turn it into desktop holy wars. Do not feed...
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Probably means "GNOME and all of that" to him. He is just clever.
    "Standard packages" → ?? → "Gnome"
    How?

Leave a comment:

• mykolak
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    How come that isn't 5.4.something? Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't 5.4 or 4.14 be better choices over an EOL'd kernel?
    Well as long as I remember for not Tumbleweed openSUSE always heavily backported patches. So I don't think there would be security problems. And as for the new features, IMHO it's better to stick to Tumbleweed to have newer stuff.

Leave a comment:

• mykolak
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    It’s good to know they are past the point of no return.
    Splitting/forking is always easier than merging. So return would be quite easy. There is no point of that (at least right now) as all this was done to reduce costs (don't do same work twice).

Leave a comment:

• mykolak
    replied
    Originally posted by Leinad View Post
    So new Leap comes with outdated packages, while breaking changes are pushed into stable version. I was big openSUSE fan with version Leap 42.2 and 42.3 . But Leap 15 is disappointment.
    I was disappointed with Leap when I've noticed that first Leap had older perl than previous 13.x. So I've moved to Tumbleweed.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
    re: DNF - there is some suggestion from suse devs that zypper is heading towards retirement in the medium term.
    While various people are insuring that dnf works on openSUSE (there was even a talk about dnf vs zypp at last years openSUSE conference which compared/contrasted both), I have seen no serious proposal that has been published to change the default (a few rumblings sure, but nothing serious), but instead just making sure the option is there. I suspect the only reason the openSUSE project would seriously consider such a change would be if the development resources allocated for zypp would need to be assigned elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

*grabs popcorn and waits for the angry Phoronix mob to arrive*
    We know one thing - if opensuse were to move to dnf, then dnf would be made to finally actually work instead of moving at a snail's pace and giving inconsistent results.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by mykolak View Post
    Meaning? What are "standard packages"?
    Probably means "GNOME and all of that" to him. He is just clever.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Reading Phoronix articles and commenters on Leap is like reading someone writing about using a year-old frozen-in-time snapshot of Arch. What's the point? Tumbleweed has all the users and all the work going into it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X