Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laughing1
    replied
    Looks like it will also support zstd: https://github.com/openSUSE/rpm-conf...ment-636781072

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by Leinad View Post

openSUSE Leap contains almost full SUSE SLE inside. So linked article directly affects openSUSE Leap. My point was, that Debian has always very small updates in "stable". But in openSUSE Leap / SLE are some changes big in same version, while some changes are small even between versions. So I struggle with both drawbacks, not so stable and not new.

I recommend you to read that article, it explains, that there are version with very small updates (*.1 and *.3) and version with bigger updates (*.2) . So it is very different to Debian or Ubuntu LTS release models.
    I can only tell you my experience, in my small company I have a 30 of computers. Until a few years ago we had Ubuntu, but we often had problems, so we evaluated various distributions, including Debian, but in the end we chose Leap and to date we have never had any problems.
    By the way, the choice of Leap was not made only for its extreme stability, but also because for us some tools like Yast and (auto-yast), are very useful for us.

Leave a comment:

• Leinad
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Hi, I use openSUSE, not SUSE and my comparison was between openSUSE and Debian, not between SUSE and Debian, but you're right there are two different methods, but both point to stability as a priority.
    This is a service pack not a new version of Leap, so it is quite normal for many packages to be old.
    openSUSE Leap contains almost full SUSE SLE inside. So linked article directly affects openSUSE Leap. My point was, that Debian has always very small updates in "stable". But in openSUSE Leap / SLE are some changes big in same version, while some changes are small even between versions. So I struggle with both drawbacks, not so stable and not new.

I recommend you to read that article, it explains, that there are version with very small updates (*.1 and *.3) and version with bigger updates (*.2) . So it is very different to Debian or Ubuntu LTS release models.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied

Debian has different release model, than SUSE. If you want know more about SLE releases, read: https://suse.com/c/how-suse-builds-i...bution-part-4/
    Hi, I use openSUSE, not SUSE and my comparison was between openSUSE and Debian, not between SUSE and Debian, but you're right there are two different methods, but both point to stability as a priority.
    This is a service pack not a new version of Leap, so it is quite normal for many packages to be old.

Leave a comment:

• Leinad
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

This is only a service pack, it is not a new version of Leap. Only "light" updates are made, although in this case the updates are significant, the base remains unchanged, to ensure stability and continuity.
    This is what all very stable fix release distributions do, such as Debian etc.
    Debian has different release model, than SUSE. If you want know more about SLE releases, read: https://suse.com/c/how-suse-builds-i...bution-part-4/

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Oh and about his hype on the "SUSE Linux Enterprise - openSUSE merger":

He is just too happy about it because SUSE Linux Enterprise uses the GNOME desktop by default (and is the only supported one), and if it were to happen, this could be in turn the death of KDE on openSUSE... and that would be a horrible thing for us...
    openSUSE and SUSE are and will remain two distinct things. SUSE needs to have a basic DE and officially support it and since it is very expensive to do so they have joined other distributions that use Gnome. Among other things, a horrible version of Gnome is officially supported, reminiscent of Gnome 2, but on the other hand for enterprise use a DE is rarely used, if not for having a fixed window.
    In any case Plasma is also available in SUSE.
    As I said ... SUSE and openSUSE will remain two separate things, what will change is that Leap and SLE will also share the binaries, thus having full compatibility.
    In my opinion many people here have never used an enterprise distribution, perhaps they would be disappointed if used in a home environment, many things that we use every day are not supported ...
    EDIT.
    Ops, mi sono reso conto di avere fatto doppi post, me ne scuso

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Mesa 19.2.6 , almost a year old, probably broken import from SLE, because SLE has "only" half year old 19.3. RC phase, nobody notices.
    Glibc 2.26, 3 years old, some games does not run on it. At least kernel 5.3 contains critical backports, like wireguard, so it is fairly modern.

It looks like Leap want to be conservative. But don't be fooled. A week ago a big major version update of freetype was pushed directly to "stable" Leap 15.1. So some of us have ugly fonts in some applications now.

So new Leap comes with outdated packages, while breaking changes are pushed into stable version. I was big openSUSE fan with version Leap 42.2 and 42.3 . But Leap 15 is disappointment.
    This is only a service pack, it is not a new version of Leap. Only "light" updates are made, although in this case the updates are significant, the base remains unchanged, to ensure stability and continuity.
    This is what all very stable fix release distributions do, such as Debian etc.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    I will be back to work in a couple of months, I have updated Leap to 15.2 on all my PCs in my company. Everything works perfectly, for me Leap is synonymous with great stability and I am not very interested in all the talk about the version of the kernel and the libraries.
    I switched my PCs from Ubuntu to Leap 3 years ago, when I often had problems with Ubuntu. So all I care about is a reliable system. At home I use Tumblewwed and I enjoy it, but in the company I can't ...
    Last edited by Charlie68; 31 May 2020, 06:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by mykolak View Post
    I thought Gnome vs KDE is old and dead pointless flamewar.
    You'd be surprised . A lot of people are very adamant about how their way is the right way and that any other way is inferior and are quick to go tell it on the mountain, over the hills, and everywhere.

I don't think this would ever happen. openSUSE has a quite big KDE community. And let be honest, death of KDE on openSUSE would mean a death of openSUSE for a lot of people, like me.
    Me neither. It would also be a decent hit to the KDE community since there just aren't near as many KDE-first distributions as there are GNOME-first. openSUSE is one of "the" KDE distributions to use.

Leave a comment:

• mykolak
    replied
    Sure!
    Welcome to Phoronix.
    Thanks for both explanation and welcome!
    I thought Gnome vs KDE is old and dead pointless flamewar.

this could be in turn the death of KDE on openSUSE... and that would be a horrible thing for us...
    I don't think this would ever happen. openSUSE has a quite big KDE community. And let be honest, death of KDE on openSUSE would mean a death of openSUSE for a lot of people, like me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X