Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora's 32-bit ARM Xfce Image Demoted While Fedora Workstation AArch64 Gets Promoted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Fedora is focused on fully libre OSS, while Debian and Ubuntu are friendly also towards proprietary Linux software (though it's not in main archives). That makes Fedora less interesting for many applications and users. Basically, Fedora is interesting only to "Libre OSS purists".
    Bullshit. If that was the case, the Fedora kernel wouldn't ship with firmware blobs. Fedora for legal reasons can't have proprietary software in it's repo, so it goes into rpmfusion. There's also Flathub.

Fedora is very attractive to developers because it's a stock Linux experience, doesn't have creeping proprietary software (like with Ubuntu), has up to date packages and ships with next-gen software.
    Last edited by Britoid; 18 February 2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      They've been cutting back on spins available, architectures available, etc. It gives the appearance that they don't have the manpower they once had to maintain all that they want to maintain.
      We are no more in the age where <insert random distro name> respins are a thing.

The same is happening for Ubuntu, OpenSUSE and others (Scientific Linux for example that was dropped alltogether and its userbase will be using CentOS directly). Either the respin has some good reason to exist, or it will be abandoned.

This is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
        Fedora is focused on fully libre OSS, while Debian and Ubuntu are friendly also towards proprietary Linux software (though it's not in main archives). That makes Fedora less interesting for many applications and users. Basically, Fedora is interesting only to "Libre OSS purists".
        Lol yeah sure. The same applies to any commercial distro that has any presence in the US, OpenSUSE for example does that.
        They all have a "third party repository" that is operated by "the community" where they put all stuff that could be a legal issue (media codecs for example), 99% of that distro users will add and install packages from there.
        Just as most people will enable the "non-free" repos for Debian if they want most of their modern hardware to work at all.

OSS purists will never use anything that ships firmware blobs, so they are more or less limited to a short list of bullshit semi-useless distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
          It's sad to see what Fedora has become. Back when it was just Red Hat, it was fantastic, probably the best distro, especially with the Ximian Desktop, those were the days. Then when Fedora was announced, I remember reading an article on a Linux review site, where the author said something to the effect of "I just hope Fedora isn't meant as a perpetually beta test bed for main Red Hat releases".

The man was incredibly prescient.
          All operating systems are perpetual beta test bed

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Lol yeah sure. The same applies to any commercial distro that has any presence in the US, OpenSUSE for example does that.
            They all have a "third party repository" that is operated by "the community" where they put all stuff that could be a legal issue (media codecs for example), 99% of that distro users will add and install packages from there.
            Just as most people will enable the "non-free" repos for Debian if they want most of their modern hardware to work at all.

OSS purists will never use anything that ships firmware blobs, so they are more or less limited to a short list of bullshit semi-useless distros.
            I wouldn't call Fedora and OpenSUSE commercial distros. Both are run by communities, although sponsored by commercial companies.

Comment

I generally use Fedora for headless operation on 32-bit ARM SBC (e.g. as a Wireguard termination). But even the low-end SBC are becoming 64-bit. Just as i686 use is declining, 32-bit ARM is going to decline. Fedora is just keeping up with the times.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                ....actually, I just thought your post is not worth enough to stay here. It's gone.
                Considering there is no post by "144Hz" above that of "tildearrow"...

I wonder if this is an open admission that there is a moderator present in these forums ... other than Michael and perhaps his wife.
                Last edited by NotMine999; 18 February 2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  They've been cutting back on spins available, architectures available, etc. It gives the appearance that they don't have the manpower they once had to maintain all that they want to maintain. It's like when a random business starts cutting employees, hours, and services provided to do whatever they need to do to stay afloat. It gives that downward spiral appearance...at least that's the way I read it...
                  It's my understanding that some of the spins have been discontinued because the Community SIG members responsible for that spin did not update it. Some of those spins were maintained by only a few people and it seems that it's just too much work for a small group of people with limited time. But I get your drift. The people who are paid by Red Hat to work on Fedora seem quite stretched and focused on making sure Fedora provides whatever Red Hat needs for RHEL 9, etc. I guess keeping a spin alive is not a priority.

Comment

It's sad to see what Fedora has become. Back when it was just Red Hat, it was fantastic, probably the best distro, especially with the Ximian Desktop, those were the days. Then when Fedora was announced, I remember reading an article on a Linux review site, where the author said something to the effect of "I just hope Fedora isn't meant as a perpetually beta test bed for main Red Hat releases".

The man was incredibly prescient.
                    Hardly. Fedora produces polished numbered releases on a schedule. If anything is a "perpetual beta test" it's the rolling release distros like Arch or Gentoo. Care to elaborate on what exactly Fedora "has become" that makes you so sad? I was a Ximian Desktop user back in the day, and I don't remember it supporting 32 bit ARM...

Comment

It's sad to see what Fedora has become. Back when it was just Red Hat, it was fantastic, probably the best distro, especially with the Ximian Desktop, those were the days.
                      Yes those were the days There was Eazel that tried to sell Nautilus and Nat & Miguel tried to sell GNOME software services with Helix. Eazel tanked. And after Helix, Nat & Miguel started Ximian focused on .Net. Rumours were that it was Miguel's dream to work for Microsoft so I guess he must he happy they got acquired.

Comment

Working...
                      X