Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Fedora Users Concerned GNOME Software Promotes Proprietary Software With Flathub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last I checked (and I do not regularly use gnome-software), if you actually check the license on these example (before clicking install), it says "Proprietary". Those that do not check if the software they are installing is truly free are likely to end up with proprietary software.

Rather than treating users as clueless and needing of protection, we should prioritize education, and trust that they can make their own informed choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
      Oh woe is those poor freedom fighters, how dare that evil proprietary software invade their safe space by simply showing a logo.

Like, who cares, just don't install it. Why do people obsessed with free software have to throw a tantrum at the mere echo of something that isn't GPLv3'd.
      I’m of the same opinion, these guys act like 5 year olds. Beyond that what is their problem with making money off software? It is up to the developers actually writing the software to determine how to copyright it. Some of these guys must have been born with a silver spoon in their mouths and never had the need to work to feed themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
        Promoting blobs is really a shoot in the foot. I can't understand
        Honestly Flatpaks are ideal for blobs. The last thing I want is a packaged piece of software screwing up my system.

Comment

Everyone has an opinion but fails to remember or care that Fedora by default installs no proprietary software and has no access to such software without adding extra repositories.

So the reason this issue comes up is because it goes against the grain of their ethos. It's fundamental to their identity and their values.

I liked the suggestion about adding filter by license controls and making it a more prominent category or distinction that can be disabled by default even. I can understand, it would be like Gentoo shipping binaries by default as a primary install source over source-built portage packages.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            At today's working working group meeting,

Comment

most of you have no clue what you're talking about. Fedora -is- Fedora -because- it doesn't even give the option to install proprietary packages without using third party repo's.... This has been the status quo for -decades-.... It's a huge part of the reason for its success. If everybody was pining for proprietary apps the -NO- Linux distro would have been a success. Facts of what has happened and is continuing to happen prove that most people don't need proprietary apps provided good open source alternatives. And those same people are too ignorant to even realize it. They don't need to realize it.

Comment

This seems a bit ridiculous to me because doesn't ship with Flathub ootb anyway, and if you've added Flathub it's often because you need some proprietary software.

That being said, do note that WG proposals don't always result in anything.

Comment

Proprietary software should not be promoted at all, there should be a clear warning that the code cannot be audited. Not every user is educated enough to always check and understand the licence before installing such software. The risk of installing software that is tracking users of does other malicious things is quite high. Just look at how users are enforced now to install proprietary banking apps that contain trackers on Android. This is unacceptable and shouldn't be promoted by an app store! F-droid does state clear warning, this should be used as a good example.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    Everyone has an opinion but fails to remember or care that Fedora by default installs no proprietary software and has no access to such software without adding extra repositories.
                    Exactly. Flathub is another of those extra repositories which aren't there by default.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                      Want to attract new users to Linux or not?
                      Or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X