Fedora 31 Released For This Innovative Linux Distribution Supported By Red Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    How do you know who has and hasn't forked out cash to Redhat over the years? A lot of us have paid good money to Redhat over the past 25 years and gotten burned pretty badly when the company just randomly decided to change the terms of service without notice. Some of us, me for instance, refuse to have anything to do with the company or its community lab rat distros because of this, even though they would seem to otherwise put out solid distros.

Next time you decide to build one of your arguments, might want to leave out the part where you accuse people of being worthless freeloaders. Because it's likely to be completely untrue.
    How odd, you are offended on behalf of someone else, who in his reply did the exact same thing.

Leaving that aside, given that I don't know the details of what the ToS were, how much you paid (or if a company you worked for paid for it) and what were you promised in exchange, it's hard to know if you're right or if it's just your side of the story. Anecdotes are not data.

Similarly, donating to a project is not necessarily the same as directly funding the development of the features you want, so unless someone here happens to be very wealthy or representing a company, claiming they are not funding development of their preferred features is a pretty safe bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post

How odd, you are offended on behalf of someone else, who in his reply did the exact same thing.

Leaving that aside, given that I don't know the details of what the ToS were, how much you paid (or if a company you worked for paid for it) and what were you promised in exchange, it's hard to know if you're right or if it's just your side of the story. Anecdotes are not data.

Similarly, donating to a project is not necessarily the same as directly funding the development of the features you want, so unless someone here happens to be very wealthy or representing a company, claiming they are not funding development of their preferred features is a pretty safe bet.
      You have a sad misunderstanding about how money works if you think that the only way your pennies make it into a specific project is for you to specifically fund it, rather than purchasing products and services from the company as a whole.

And I find it amusing that you would insinuate that I have multiple Phoronix forum accounts just so I can double my fun in bantering with people. Trust me, nothing would be less interesting to me, or more of a waste of my time.

Comment

You have a sad misunderstanding about how money works if you think that the only way your pennies make it into a specific project is for you to specifically fund it, rather than purchasing products and services from the company as a whole.
        Nah, I'm not talking about how money gets into the project, I'm talking about whether it gets used to fund dev time on specific features.

I'm just saying that unless you are:

A) Directly funding developers to work on a feature you want (Like Google, Microsoft, and IBM do). or
        B) Specifically donating to a project where donations allow you to set priorities (Like Blender does), or
        C) Paying for a product with T&C that specifically say your individual needs (and not the needs of the whole set of customers) will be prioritized

then you have absolutely zero right to demand the developers work on whatever you want first. And even if you're doing any of those, insulting devs doing their job doesn't serve any purpose other than making them less willing to work on what you want and making you look like an asshole.

If you just donate or pay with no conditions attached, then the devs are free to use the cash as they please to pay for any number of things: making the UI rainbow colored, writing tests for existing features, buying promotional stickers, paying for administrative expenses, etc. Payments or donations don't have the inherent power of making you a shareholder, nor the boss.

And I find it amusing that you would insinuate that I have multiple Phoronix forum accounts just so I can double my fun in bantering with people. Trust me, nothing would be less interesting to me, or more of a waste of my time.
        That is not what I intended to convey. I'm merely saying that it's weird that you pick on that specifically given the context.
        Last edited by Aeder; 30 October 2019, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
          What exactly are you missing for generic desktop usage? It even gets the same amount of release upgrades as Windows nowadys..
          Nothing on the feature/package set, just how the distro is promoted.

Comment

What's disappointing Gnome Wayland performance when comes to resizing windows is worse than KDE running under X. Not to mention Gnome under X is even slower.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              remove pango
              haha, very funny, better alternative to telling people to rm -rf their root filesystem

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post

Nah, I'm not talking about how money gets into the project, I'm talking about whether it gets used to fund dev time on specific features.

I'm just saying that unless you are:

A) Directly funding developers to work on a feature you want (Like Google, Microsoft, and IBM do). or
                B) Specifically donating to a project where donations allow you to set priorities (Like Blender does), or
                C) Paying for a product with T&C that specifically say your individual needs (and not the needs of the whole set of customers) will be prioritized

then you have absolutely zero right to demand the developers work on whatever you want first. And even if you're doing any of those, insulting devs doing their job doesn't serve any purpose other than making them less willing to work on what you want and making you look like an asshole.

If you just donate or pay with no conditions attached, then the devs are free to use the cash as they please to pay for any number of things: making the UI rainbow colored, writing tests for existing features, buying promotional stickers, paying for administrative expenses, etc. Payments or donations don't have the inherent power of making you a shareholder, nor the boss.
                You're just moving goalposts. At first you said he had no right to complain because there's no way he had paid any money into the project. Now you are saying even if he HAD paid money into the project, he STILL wouldn't have any right to complain. Actually, users ALWAYS have the right to complain - it's the very definition of what it means to be a user. Use the software, praise the software, complain about the software, tell friends about the software, ask for changes to the software, make changes yourself to the software - these are so integral to the developer/user relationship that it would make no sense whatsoever to take user feedback out of it. The fact that developers don't like to HEAR user complaints is really irrelevant.

Comment

You're just moving goalposts. At first you said he had no right to complain because there's no way he had paid any money into the project. Now you are saying even if he HAD paid money into the project, he STILL wouldn't have any right to complain. Actually, users ALWAYS have the right to complain - it's the very definition of what it means to be a user. Use the software, praise the software, complain about the software, tell friends about the software, ask for changes to the software, make changes yourself to the software - these are so integral to the developer/user relationship that it would make no sense whatsoever to take user feedback out of it. The fact that developers don't like to HEAR user complaints is really irrelevant.
                  I said he had no right to demand anything. He can complain all he wants. There's a big difference between those words. So your entire statement is basically arguing against a straw-man.
                  Last edited by Aeder; 30 October 2019, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Most graphical applications in Fedora 31 do not support bitmap fonts like Terminus.
                    that's a lie, they support bitmap fonts in opentype format
                    so, should i say
                    Fuck you!
                    ?

Comment

How do you know who has and hasn't forked out cash to Redhat over the years? A lot of us have paid good money to Redhat over the past 25 years
                      nobody of you was paying redhat for fedora

Comment

Working...
                      X